Low-key DIY Utah wedding with punk and vintage touches
Lucia and Bo’s DIY Utah wedding was filled with personal touches. One of their moms cooked all the food and the other baked the cakes. The attendants, whom they called “Handy Helpers,” wore anything they wanted, and a friend of theirs officiated.
The couple describes the celebration as low-key, but filled “with lots of colors and love” as well as “touches of vintage and punk feels.”
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
If your family is part of your wedding, don’t back down from what makes YOU feel good. Wear all the makeup you want to, wear a suit, put on those high heels, include that bop of a song that makes your family uncomfortable. It’s your day, and you don’t have to answer to anyone else.
What advice do you have for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Always have more inclusive language. Websites where I see only “Bride & Groom” labeled on things makes me feel unseen.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
While planning our wedding, we were both cis/het passing. We often had to explain over and over again how we were both non-binary and preferred they/them pronouns. People either seemed to think we weren’t queer enough or we were too queer for them to feel comfortable. It was important to us that people knew we were a queer couple.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Our friends were wildly supportive–and not just the ones we expected. Most of them, if not all, were amazing.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Adore Me Photography
Venue: Meet me on 33rd
Florist: The Foul Mouthed Florist
Attire: Davids Bridal; ASOS
Submit your LGBTQ+ wedding, engagement or family story for editorial consideration.
MOST VIEWED STORIES
- One step closer to marriage equality: Japan court rules that ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional
- A sunrise engagement photoshoot for Canada brides-to-be who own a flower farm together
- Same-sex couple marries in the first wedding ever held at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show
- LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration: celebrating queer love with a rooftop party, modern aesthetic and terracotta color palette
- European rights court finds Romania in violation of LGBTQ+ rights and orders legal protections for same-sex couples