D.C. Gay Divorce Bill Sent Before Council
By Jason Carson Wilson
The marriage equality debate has brought a juxtaposition of reality. Marylanders prepare to battle for gay marriage as the District of Columbia considers same-sex divorce, according to the Huffington Post.
A bill, complete with seven co-sponsors, has been sent to the full council. Passage is expected.
D.C. Councilmember Phil Mendelson
Councilmember Phil Mendelson, D-At Large, introduced the Civil Marriage Dissolution Equality Amendment Act of 2011 last fall, the Washington Blade reported. D.C. officials green-lighted same-sex marriage in 2009, but want clarity on dealing with the resolution of gay marriages.
Proponents stress the bill’s need, since states not recognizing gay marriage can’t issue decrees to couples choosing to end their unions in D.C. The marriage law requires one or both spouses to live in D.C. for six months, in order to be granted a divorce.
Tracking how many couples have sought divorces is nearly impossible. D.C. courts track neither marriage licenses nor divorce filings by sexual orientation, according to the Examiner.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Pantone announces its 2023 color of the year
- Emily, Willie and Sarah’s DIY throuple wedding at the Inn on the Russian River in Monte Rio, California
- 10 things you need to create that perfect rainbow wedding
- Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
- 10 ways to use burnt orange in your wedding
- Tam and Yiyun’s intimate summer wedding at Folktale Winery and Vineyards in Carmel Valley, California
- Stefany and Britt’s queer, nonbinary wedding at the Lace House in Columbia, South Carolina
- Priscilla and Jamesa’s fall wedding in Nashville, Tennessee, featured harvest hues of gold, burnt orange, terracotta rust and dusty rose
- Lindsey and Molly’s Christian wedding in New Bern, North Carolina, showcased their two dogs and had a dried flower confetti send-off
- Alyssa and Holly’s Colorado adventure session in Rocky Mountain National Park
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding