Happy Marriage Equality Anniversary, Iowa!
By Katherine Dean
One year ago today, the Iowa Supreme Court unanimously overturned the state’s law limiting marriage rights to heterosexual couples, thus affording gays and lesbians the right to marry in the Hawkeye State. And despite GOP lawmaker’s attempts to force a vote on a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, a repeal of the ruling seems unlikely.
According to a poll conducted on behalf of the Des Moines Register, 92 percent of Iowans said that gay marriage has brought no real change to their life. Furthermore, 63 percent said issues other than a candidate’s views on gay marriage will affect their votes this November.
Even Democratic Governor Chet Culver, who at first was only lukewarm in his support for the ruling, issued this definitive statement:
“We stood firm for the civil rights of every Iowan by saying loudly and clearly that any and all efforts to add discriminatory amendments to our state constitution have no place in our state constitution. The overwhelming majority of Iowans do not want to amend our constitution in such as a way that’s discriminatory. I think that’s the bottom line.”
Governor Culver, who personally defines marriage as being between one man and one woman, has further stated that he does not believe that his views should infringe upon the civil rights of others. Talk about progressive.
For more on Iowa’s fight to preserve marriage equality, visit and support One Iowa.
To plan your wedding in Iowa, find gay-friendly equality-minded wedding vendors in Iowa in Equally Wed Local Resources.
Equally Wed loves celebrating anniversaries. Tell us about yours! Send an e-mail to email@example.com.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Meet the incredible couple behind Broadway Husbands
- How do you know when you’re ready to propose? We asked a real couple
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert: Raining Jane’s Becky Gebhardt marries cinematographer Abby Linne
- Why you should include your pets in your engagement photos
- 7 Cool Curled Hairstyles
- 22 couples with tattoos who prove ink is the best wedding look
- Rustic winery wedding in Columbus, Ohio
- This couple got married in San Francisco during the California wildfires
- Surprise proposal at Longwood Gardens
- A gay Mexican couple just made history with their New York wedding