Happy Marriage Equality Anniversary, Iowa!
By Katherine Dean
One year ago today, the Iowa Supreme Court unanimously overturned the state’s law limiting marriage rights to heterosexual couples, thus affording gays and lesbians the right to marry in the Hawkeye State. And despite GOP lawmaker’s attempts to force a vote on a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, a repeal of the ruling seems unlikely.
According to a poll conducted on behalf of the Des Moines Register, 92 percent of Iowans said that gay marriage has brought no real change to their life. Furthermore, 63 percent said issues other than a candidate’s views on gay marriage will affect their votes this November.
Even Democratic Governor Chet Culver, who at first was only lukewarm in his support for the ruling, issued this definitive statement:
“We stood firm for the civil rights of every Iowan by saying loudly and clearly that any and all efforts to add discriminatory amendments to our state constitution have no place in our state constitution. The overwhelming majority of Iowans do not want to amend our constitution in such as a way that’s discriminatory. I think that’s the bottom line.”
Governor Culver, who personally defines marriage as being between one man and one woman, has further stated that he does not believe that his views should infringe upon the civil rights of others. Talk about progressive.
For more on Iowa’s fight to preserve marriage equality, visit and support One Iowa.
To plan your wedding in Iowa, find gay-friendly equality-minded wedding vendors in Iowa in Equally Wed Local Resources.
Equally Wed loves celebrating anniversaries. Tell us about yours! Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- 8 wedding leather jacket looks that are the perfect level of drama
- 5 effortless ways to bring sophistication to your LGBTQ+ wedding decor
- 10 LGBTQ+ wedding details that will make your heart explode!
- Adventure engagement photos in the mountains
- Fairy themed trans wedding in wine country
- Stunning waterfront photos to celebrate IVF and starting a family
- ABA issues formal opinion that judges can’t refuse same-sex marriages
- I didn’t think Valentine’s Day was for queer couples—now I love celebrating it
- Feminine edgy pink and black wedding inspiration
- Southwestern garden wedding inspiration