By Katherine Dean
Even after an impassioned speech (watch the video at the end of this article) defending same-sex marriage from Zach Wahls, the son of a lesbian couple, the Iowa House on Tuesday approved a resolution proposing an amendment to constitutionally ban gay marriage in the Hawkeye State, according to the Des Moines Register.
Joint Resolution 6 now heads to the Senate where it is not expected to pass. A similar resolution failed in the Senate earlier this year.
Still, equal rights supporters in Iowa should prepare for a fight. Chuck Hurley of the Iowa Family Policy Center told OneNewsNow that equality opponents plan to use grassroots efforts to “convince their elected senator, whose salary they pay, that those senators should vote against [Senate Leader] Gronstal and let we the people vote on the definition of marriage.”
If you live in Iowa and would like to voice your opposition to the resolution, visit the General Assembly’s website for contact information on your legislators.
Zach Wahls Speaks About Family
MOST VIEWED STORIES
- Wedding inspiration for queer love in Seattle with handfasting, a disco ball and vegan donuts
- Intimate elopement in Big Cottonwood Canyon, Utah, with a handfasting ceremony
- Matty Maggiacomo and Evan Feeley’s proposal video made us ugly cry
- These brides celebrated their love with a magical forest wedding at IslandWood on Bainbridge Island, Washington
- Create an unforgettable mezze station for your wedding celebration