What Suits You: When Choosing a Suit, the Devil is in the Details
By Joseph Hernandez
Alfani RED men’s suit available at Macy’s
Femme brides are shelling out the greenbacks for their white gown, so grooms and butch ladies should follow their lead and buy their tux. Why rent and look uneasy in an ill-fitting suit when buying will ensure you look ship-shape for the big day? Besides looking dapper and dandy, the perfect suit also can be used for other formal occasions, a return on investment not possible by constantly renting. So what suits you?
Black, navy, gray. The hue you select makes more of a statement than anything else. Black is always a classic, navy is never wrong, and gray is for the stylish, contemporary gentleman.
A subtlety that should not be ignored, lapels frame the chest and draw attention upwards to your face. Peak lapels are classic on a tuxedo, while notch lapels are found on standard suit jackets—the perfect fallback. Fancy yourself a cool cat? Opt for the retro-fabulous shawl collar.
The opening at the back of your suit? Yeah, that’s a vent. The back area of the suit is meant to breathe and sit well on your body. Traditionally, there is a single vent down the center of the jacket, but many contemporary suits incorporate the double vent down the sides.
No matter your size, opt for simple, clean lines. Avoid pleating, unless you want to look dowdy and dated. And for the love of Pete, get your pants appropriately hemmed to the shoes you are wearing. Nothing looks more unpolished than bunched britches.
Tod’s Gommini’ Venetian Driving Shoe available at Nordstrom
Have fun here. Newer styles can be dressed down with well-made sneakers (think John Varvatos for Converse). You can also opt for drama with a glossy, patent leather Oxford. Don’t ignore this opportunity to add a little personality to your off-the-rack style.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Stunning private beach elopement in Moorea
- Joyous park engagement session in Washington with canine cameos
- State Dept. should allow embassies to advocate for marriage equality, Democrats say
- How to pick the perfect proposal spot
- Bright and joyful wedding at a Los Angeles automobile museum
- Sunny South Carolina elopement surrounded by greenery
- Elegant micro wedding ideas with live music and chic blue cake
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin can’t stop gushing about their newborn twins
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle