Wisconsin: Number 20 for Marriage Equality?
The latest in marriage equality in Wisconsin
Ginger and Emily are planning their Wisconsin wedding for August 2014. Won’t it be wonderful for them to receive a marriage license from their state? Read their engagement story here. Photo: Wildernesses Photography
U.S. District Court Judge Barbara Crabb, a federal judge, ruled Friday that the state of Wisconsin’s ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional.
In her decision, Crabb wrote: “This case is not about whether marriages between same-sex couples are consistent or inconsistent with the teachings of a particular religion, whether such marriages are moral or immoral or whether they are something that should be encouraged or discouraged. It is not even about whether the plaintiffs in this case are as capable as opposite-sex couples of maintaining a committed and loving relationship or raising a family together. Quite simply, this case is about liberty and equality, the two cornerstones of the rights protected by the United States Constitution.”
The state attorney general General J.B. Van Hollen made a request to Crabb to stop same-sex marriages from happening, but already, there’s been a steady stream of couples seeking licenses.
In the two largest counties, Milwaukee County and Dane County, which includes the state capital Madison, more than 300 marriage licenses have been issued to same-sex couples.
Crabb has scheduled a hearing on Van Hollen’s request for Monday afternoon, according to court records. Stay tuned to equallywed.com, Twitter and Facebook for the latest in this story and other marriage equality headlines, along with our steady stream of real weddings and inspiration for LGBTQ weddings.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot