Q My fiancée and I spent all this time registering for amazing products, but now we’re not allowed to tell anyone about it. What gives?
A It’s true that it’s tacky to bring it up to your guests about what kind of gifts you’d like for the wedding. That’s what your lovely friends, family and wedding Web site are for—to spread the word. Do keep in mind that your enclosure card in your invitation envelope shouldn’t mention your registry (nor should your invitation). Keep it discreet on your Web site with a modest section for Registry. An important thing to note is that wedding gifts aren’t required; only shower gifts are (because that’s the purpose of a shower). So don’t make your guests uncomfortable by acting like you expect gifts. Registering is merely a system of selecting items you’d love for your home as you and your partner build upon your newly committed life together, should your loved ones need suggestions. Don’t worry that your guests won’t find your registry. If they want to buy a gift for you, they will seek out your registry information.
Kirsten Ott Palladino is the co-founder and editor in chief of Equally Wed, the nation’s leading gay and lesbian wedding and honeymoon magazine. Follow her on Twitter. Connect with her on Facebook. Write her with your gay wedding questions. If she can’t answer it, she’ll find another expert who can!
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Stunning private beach elopement in Moorea
- Joyous park engagement session in Washington with canine cameos
- State Dept. should allow embassies to advocate for marriage equality, Democrats say
- How to pick the perfect proposal spot
- Bright and joyful wedding at a Los Angeles automobile museum
- Sunny South Carolina elopement surrounded by greenery
- Elegant micro wedding ideas with live music and chic blue cake
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin can’t stop gushing about their newborn twins
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle