Kate Sosin, The 19th
Kate Sosin is the 19th's LGBTQ+ reporter, focusing on transgender rights, incarceration, politics and public policy. Kate has conducted deep-dive investigations into transgender prison abuse and homicides for NBC News. They previously worked at Logo TV, INTO and Windy City Times.
The 19th Explains: Why the Respect for Marriage Act doesn’t codify same-sex marriage rights
Kate Sosin, The 19th, 3 months ago 4 min read
The U.S. House approved legislation Thursday to shore up marriage rights for LGBTQ+ couples. The Respect for Marriage Act has been hailed by lawmakers as a landmark law that will protect queer Americans for generations to come.
Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
Kate Sosin, The 19th, 4 months ago 4 min read
The Respect for Marriage Act, a bill that overturns the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act and forces states without marriage equality laws to honor marriages from other states, is on track to become law.
Equality Act hangs in the balance as Democrats falter in Senate races
Kate Sosin, The 19th, 2 years ago 7 min read
Can Biden convince enough Republicans to back the federal LGBTQ+ protections he promised?
Supreme Court justices set stage to end marriage equality
Kate Sosin, The 19th, 2 years ago 3 min read
Justices suggest marriage equality will be on the chopping block as the Senate aims to confirm Amy Coney Barrett
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- A luxe New Year’s Eve New Orleans wedding with fireworks and a second line
- Best cake topper ideas for LGBTQ+ weddings
- A Gatsby-inspired vow renewal at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia
- A classic black-and-white Vermont wedding with rustic accents and a bold floral choice
- 7 lucky Irish wedding traditions
- Your wedding style according to your zodiac sign
- This destination wedding in Riviera Maya, Mexico, featured a rainbow cake and a song from one of the grooms
- This springtime lakeside elopement featured upcycled wedding outfits and a mountaintop picnic