Bakery that Refused to Make Wedding Cake for Lesbians Finally Pays Big Fine
We’re popping bottles at EW HQ for Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer. Two years ago, the two brides experienced serious discrimination from an Oregon bakery.
Sweet Cakes by Melissa refused to make a wedding cake for the lesbians, saying it violated religious beliefs. According to a 2007 Oregon law, however, private businesses are not allowed to discriminate against potential customers.
After refusing to compensate the Bowman-Cryers for nearly six months, Sweet Cakes finally payed over $135,000 in state-ordered damages. Cheers!
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Chiara + Stefania: Italian couple celebrates a Central Park wedding after a decade together
- JJ + Alex: Unique Pride Week wedding in downtown Los Angeles
- Sock it to me: LGBTQ+ pride socks for your wedding day
- Bri + Noel: Bohemian Mountain Elopement in Carson, Washington
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ couple news alert: Jonathan Bennett and Jaymes Vaughan are engaged!