Brett + James: A Sailboat Wedding in Philadelphia
Brett and James got married on (yes, on) one of the world’s most remarkable venues: a sailboat!
Brett and James got married on (yes, on) one of the world’s most remarkable venues: a sailboat! The Moshulu is the world’s oldest (and largest) square rigged sailing vessel that’s still afloat. When Brett and James were planning their wedding, they knew that they wanted to be married at a venue that had character—and a historic sailboat certainly has character.
I was traveling to Flordia for a wedding of a good friend of mine from childhood who I knew from a little beach town on the New Jersey shore named Avalon. I was going to the wedding single, with a friend of mine, also from childhood. My friend suggested that the night before the wedding we go out with a friend of his, Brett, who I had heard about for years and had also spent a lot of time in Avalon, but I had never met. I remember as Brett pulled up and I got into the car, our eyes locked and it was like love at first sight. The rest is history!
We both love cars and a year into our relationship, we purchased a vintage Mercedes together. We decided to take the Auto Train from Florida to D.C. and then road trip all the way up the coast of the Northeast. Our first stop was in Avalon, where Brett had planned to propose on a lifeguard stand after dark. Unfortunately it rained and he had to postpone the proposal (and continue to hide the ring!). The trip continued through Fire Island, NY, Squam Lake, NH, Ogunquit ME, and ended in Provincetown. While we were there at last stop on our almost 3 week trip and were having dinner at a wonderful little, very romantic restaurant with a private ocean view, called Jimmy’s HideAway. I had a feeling something was up, because Brett was getting a little nervous and at the end of the meal he proposed! I, of course, said YES!
There were so many wonderful things about our day, and we were so, so lucky to have an incredible venue, The Moshulu, a truly remarkable minister (who had actually married Brett’s parents some 45 years earlier in Iowa), a wonderful photographer, Asya Photography, who captured the entire day so beautifully, a totally killer band, The Contagious Band ,who played the entire evening with barely taking a break, but most importantly to be able to celebrate our love and our union surrounded by all of our family and friends. My favorite moment, was just looking onto the dance floor, on this amazing night and seeing gay and straight couples all dancing and laughing together.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Wedding invitation company is allowed to discriminate against gay couples
- ABC’s ‘Bachelor’ TV franchise makes history with first same-sex engagement
- Monochromatic countryside double wedding inspiration
- Lesbian couple denied by California winery wedding venue receives apology after performer Nikki Levy intervenes
- 12 creative and unique alternative wedding cakes for your celebration
- 22 couples with tattoos who prove ink is the best wedding look
- Lesbian pioneers in fight for marriage equality now in bitter divorce battle challenging definition of marriage
- Double engagement inspiration in the Arizona Cactus Garden
- 9 themed weddings you’ll love, from Beauty and the Beast to astronomy
- Gay dads around globe get less parental leave than lesbian parents and straight couples