James and Keith’s olive farm wedding in California was filled with gorgeous scenery and hues of olive and lavender. Guests received invitations to the wedding decorated in shades of olive. This design was also seen in the programs for the day’s wedding events. Fans were passed out for the ceremony to help relieve guests from the heat of the California sun. Keith and James wore suits with black bow ties and magnetic boutonnieres with white ranunculus, lavender, olive twig and rosemary. The olive, ranunculus and rosemary were also in the garland that the flower girls carried as well as on the arbor and chairs.
The outdoor reception included drink dispensers filled with lemonade, appetizers, and pies in place of a traditional wedding cake. A wedding at an olive ranch would not be complete without olive oil tastings, which were offered during the reception.
From the couple: We imagined our wedding day being surrounded by trees and the beauty of the California landscape, but at the time of our engagement same-sex marriage was still illegal in California where we lived. A few weeks later, we were surprised and overjoyed when the legal situation changed. After some initial online research we found Tiber Canyon Ranch, an olive farm near San Luis Obispo in the central coast. It was the first and only venue that we visited—we immediately fell in love with the place. We let the simple beauty of the venue and the romance of a rustic olive orchard inspire the rest of the wedding style. Our color palette was drawn from the surrounding landscape and our menu from the bounty of local produce.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot