Boy Scouts of America to welcome transgender boys
Beginning on Monday, January 30, 2017 the Boy Scouts of America are proud to announce that they will now register and accept children based on their gender identity, not what is printed on their birth certificate.
“For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual’s birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs,” stated the Boy Scouts of America official website. However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state.”
This change comes not long after an eight year old boy from New Jersey was kicked out of the Boy Scouts after being a member for almost a month, once leaders and parents complained about the transgender child.
While the transgender inclusion announcement is fantastic news for the LGBTQ community, the Boy Scouts have indicated that they anticipate possible resistance.
“Starting today, we will accept and register youth in the Cub and Boy Scout programs based on the gender identity indicated on the application,” the announcement states. “Our organization’s local councils will help find units that can provide for the best interest of the child.”
Our hope is that all children will find an appropriate local unit to meet their needs.
Check out the official announcement of transgender acceptance from Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Best cake topper ideas for LGBTQ+ weddings
- A Gatsby-inspired vow renewal at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, Georgia
- A classic black-and-white Vermont wedding with rustic accents and a bold floral choice
- 7 lucky Irish wedding traditions
- Your wedding style according to your zodiac sign
- This destination wedding in Riviera Maya, Mexico, featured a rainbow cake and a song from one of the grooms
- This springtime lakeside elopement featured upcycled wedding outfits and a mountaintop picnic
- The best way to register for wedding gifts