Boy Scouts of America to welcome transgender boys
Beginning on Monday, January 30, 2017 the Boy Scouts of America are proud to announce that they will now register and accept children based on their gender identity, not what is printed on their birth certificate.
“For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual’s birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs,” stated the Boy Scouts of America official website. However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state.”
This change comes not long after an eight year old boy from New Jersey was kicked out of the Boy Scouts after being a member for almost a month, once leaders and parents complained about the transgender child.
While the transgender inclusion announcement is fantastic news for the LGBTQ community, the Boy Scouts have indicated that they anticipate possible resistance.
“Starting today, we will accept and register youth in the Cub and Boy Scout programs based on the gender identity indicated on the application,” the announcement states. “Our organization’s local councils will help find units that can provide for the best interest of the child.”
Our hope is that all children will find an appropriate local unit to meet their needs.
Check out the official announcement of transgender acceptance from Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot