Boy Scouts of America to welcome transgender boys
Beginning on Monday, January 30, 2017 the Boy Scouts of America are proud to announce that they will now register and accept children based on their gender identity, not what is printed on their birth certificate.
“For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual’s birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs,” stated the Boy Scouts of America official website. However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state.”
This change comes not long after an eight year old boy from New Jersey was kicked out of the Boy Scouts after being a member for almost a month, once leaders and parents complained about the transgender child.
While the transgender inclusion announcement is fantastic news for the LGBTQ community, the Boy Scouts have indicated that they anticipate possible resistance.
“Starting today, we will accept and register youth in the Cub and Boy Scout programs based on the gender identity indicated on the application,” the announcement states. “Our organization’s local councils will help find units that can provide for the best interest of the child.”
Our hope is that all children will find an appropriate local unit to meet their needs.
Check out the official announcement of transgender acceptance from Chief Scout Executive Michael Surbaugh.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Beautifully gothic Texas wedding with creative details
- Fortune Feimster marries Jacquelyn Smith in intimate beach wedding
- How to create an inclusive wedding for hearing-impaired and deaf guests
- Pope Francis endorses civil unions for same-sex couples
- Brian + Brett: Hudson Valley garden wedding with shades of purple
- 5 reasons to hire a gay photographer for your LGBTQ+ wedding
- PFLAG + OREO debut Proud Parent film and rainbow cookies
- Supreme Court justices set stage to end marriage equality
- Love Conquers All wedding giveaway theme revealed: Black is Queen
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors