Dark Greek mythology wedding inspiration that calls to your inner goth
This dark and moody Greek mythology Underworld-inspired styled shoot was a dream. The shoot was an indoor and outdoor romantic adventure in February in Michigan. Our real-life couple Kevin and Trinell were inspired by the modern gods—Hades and Persis—of the underworld with the fates in attendance as flower girls to celebrate their union.
Even though it was freezing outside and it was a styled shoot, we could feel the chemistry and passion between Kevin and Trinell. Kevin and Trinell were so excited to be our models for the day (Trinell especially; our shoot was on a Sunday and a few days prior he said, “I’m gonna wake up Sunday like a kid on Christmas”) and I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect couple. I could feel their chemistry and they really embraced and emulated the power Hades and Persis hold (and despite it being a serious and moody shoot, my favorite moments I captured were the ones with everyone laughing).
We had three little fates as the flower girls, as well as a ring bearer. The ring bearer carried the glass pyramid ring box with care. The fates typically work closely with Hades and they were a wonderful addition to the day. Their black capes were eerie and their black and maroon tulle skirts were delicate, but also on theme.
Every vendor put an incredible amount of hard work in to bring the aesthetic and mood that our Planner Chettara imagined. The invitations and cake were gorgeous and unique (the cake was black with hints of gold and incorporated blood oranges), and the florals were unlike anything I’d ever seen with the deep red roses and dark leaves. The main colors were deep red/maroon, steel blue and black. Crisp lines and hard metals were incorporated.
We had a river right next to our venue that I imagined was our River Styx and the snow made the shoot ever more moody with how we took the decor and overall theme. The venue had a very royal and greek feel with the columns and eclectic molding. We had deep-colored velvet chairs and couches that were fit for gods. Pomegranates in all its forms are everywhere in the smaller details.
The men looked dapper in their suits and had fantastic gold metal boutonnieres on their lapels. Some inspiration for the shoot came from this: “I wanted pomegranates—I wanted darkness, I wanted him.” —Daniella Michalleni
This shoot, for me, emulated the community, passion and power in love that we all search for.
Photographer: Brooke Voeller
Planner/Concept: Chettara T. Photography
Venue: The War Memorial
Table Styling/Decor/Table Rental: Kayla Dunn, Pineapple Union Weddings & Events
Florals: M. Dawn Floral Design
Cake/Desserts/Fate Skirts: The Dulce Experience
Crystal Crown: Judy and Madeleine
Makeup: Jason V Beauty
Hair: Kismet Studio
Furniture: Purple Ribbon Rentals, LLC.
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Stunning adventure elopement at Oregon’s Mt. Hood
- Youtuber Cammie Scott proposes to girlfriend in epic ode to 10 Things I Hate About You
- 5 of our favorite LGBTQ celebrity engagements of 2021
- Romantic Zoom wedding eight years in the making
- Seaside South Carolina proposal on horseback
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca