The Blessed Proposal
This couple makes sure to include a deceased parent in their heartfelt proposal story.
By Misty Rollins
My fiancée Alanna and I have known each other since childhood, as I was her sister’s best friend growing up. Earlier this year, we got together and it was instant love, as if we had known all along that we were meant to be. Turns out, she had a crush on me since we were kids and I never even had a clue!
Fast forward a couple of months and we were talking about getting married. Wishing she had a ring so she could ask me to be her wife, I told her that I had a ring that belonged to my mother, who passed away in May 2005.
After I picked out my mother’s ring, we hopped into the car and drove to the cemetery where my mother is buried to ask for her permission to use her ring. I introduced Alanna to my mother, during which Alanna asked her for her blessing. Then, she got down on one knee in front of my mom’s stone and asked me to marry her.
For me, including my deceased mother was the most romantic, sweet, and thoughtful way to propose. I feel honored to wear my mother’s ring, which will act as a stand-in until I choose the official engagement ring, and I feel lucky to have found my forever with Alanna. We plan on exchanging vows in front of friends at our engagement party on February 17, 2012 in our hometown of Ohio. Sometime in the next year, we hope to elope in Buffalo, New York, where same-sex marriage is legally recognized.
Want to see your proposal story in Equally Wed Magazine? For consideration, send an e-mail briefly outlining the highlights of your story and a snapshot of you two to email@example.com. Submission of your photos, videos and letters constitutes permission to Palladino Publishing, publisher of Equally Wed Magazine and EquallyWed.com, to use them in all media.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- 10 LGBTQ+ wedding details that will make your heart explode!
- Adventure engagement photos in the mountains
- Fairy themed trans wedding in wine country
- Stunning waterfront photos to celebrate IVF and starting a family
- ABA issues formal opinion that judges can’t refuse same-sex marriages
- I didn’t think Valentine’s Day was for queer couples—now I love celebrating it
- Feminine edgy pink and black wedding inspiration
- Southwestern garden wedding inspiration
- Bank lobby flash mob proposal
- This Republican bill seeks to strip gay marriage rights in Tennessee