Light My Fire
A sweet backyard proposal gets heated
By Kirsten Perkins
My fiancée Kelly proposed to me on Aug. 16, 2009. She had made dinner reservations for us at one of my favorite Indian restaurants. The dinner was wonderful, the wine was great, and the food amazing. Afterward, she took me to my favorite Irish bar. When we got home, she led me through the house to the back door. Upon walking out, I witnessed a scene from a fairy tale. While we were at dinner, she had my best friend and her boyfriend setting up our backyard. There was a trail of white silk lined with tea candles leading from the back door out into our yard. A white silk tablecloth draped our glass patio table, decorated with candles, rose petals and a dozen white roses. The yard was lit with tiki torches and music was playing. Kelly set me down at the table and proceeded to read me a poem she wrote for me before presenting me with an engagement ring set with her grandmother’s diamond, and asking me to spend the rest of my life with her.
Afterward, I found out that Kelly had intended to take me home directly after dinner, but she had to stall by taking me to the Irish bar because after my best friend set up the fairy tale scene, she accidentally caught it on fire and the whole thing went up in flames! She had to rush to put the fire out and then reset everything! Our patio chairs were completely destroyed by the fire, and we had to sit on dining room chairs. Ha! It was the best night of my life.
Kirsten and Kelly will wed on October 16, 2010 at a romantic bed and breakfast.
Want to see your proposal story in Equally Wed Magazine? For consideration, send an e-mail briefly outlining the highlights of your story and a snapshot of you two to email@example.com. Submission of your photos, videos and letters constitutes permission to Palladino Publishing, publisher of Equally Wed Magazine and EquallyWed.com, to use them in all media.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- 6 truths I’ve learned in 10 years of dating my high school sweetheart
- Everything I lost when I started dating my best friend
- Joy-filled engagement photos in Oyster Bay, New York
- LGBTQ+ honeymoon spotlight: Cape Town, South Africa
- Open marriage, transitioning and play parties: one couple’s story of their thriving poly love life
- You’ll want to a be a guest at this couple’s Beauty and the Beast inspired wedding
- Asking for money as a wedding gift: OK or no way?
- Romantic hillside winery wedding
- Why this wedding shop is getting praise for its wheelchair window display
- These women planned surprise proposals for each other on the same day