Family Feud: Liz Cheney and Mary Cheney Battle Over Gay Marriage
Liz Cheney’s declaration against gay marriage yesterday on Fox truly hurt her sister, Mary Cheney, and understandably so.
Liz, one of former Vice President Dick Cheney’s daughters (pictured far left), said gay marriage is an area where she and Mary, her openly gay sister and also Dick Cheney’s daughter, “disagree.”
Mary Cheney, who married her wife, Heather Poe, in June 2012, responded on Facebook: “Liz—this isn’t just an issue on which we disagree you’re just wrong—and on the wrong side of history.”
Her wife, Heather Poe, chimed in, too: “I can’t help but wonder how Liz would feel if as she moved from state to state, she discovered that her family was protected in one but not the other,” Ms. Poe wrote on her Facebook page.
“Yes, Liz,” she added, “in fifteen states and the District of Columbia you are my sister-in-law.”
Today at NewRepublic.com, Noreen Malone comments on Liz Cheney: “Her ‘family values’ position has very publicly made her actual family values (love, loyalty) look pretty rotten. Worse, it looks like the position she’s ruining her relationship with her sister over isn’t really one she holds, making her not just heartless but a hypocrite—which doesn’t play well just about anywhere.”
Mary Cheney, 44, said in a phone interview with The New York Times on Sunday that “she presumed her sister shared her father’s views on marriage, and that view was reinforced because Liz Cheney ‘was always very supportive’ of her relationship with Ms. Poe and the couple’s two children.
“She learned otherwise in August when Liz Cheney declared, shortly after announcing her Senate candidacy, that she was opposed to same-sex marriage rights. Mary Cheney said it is now ‘impossible’ for the sisters to reconcile as long as Liz Cheney maintains that position.”
Photo via Queerty.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- American Psychological Association says singular ‘they’ now the standard for scholarly writing
- Roxane Gay and Debbie Millman are officially engaged
- Black gothic wedding with skulls, swords and magic
- This mom’s wedding speech will make you cry in the best way
- Community was at the heart of this floral summer wedding
- Romantic engagement photos on the beach in Kauai, Hawaii
- Rustic orange and yellow autumn wedding in Norfolk, Massachusetts
- Home anniversary photos to celebrate one year of marriage
- Wild child Southwest wedding at Rimrock Ranch in Pioneertown, California
- Why you should absolutely do a post-wedding photo shoot