Gay Military Homecoming Film for Marriage Equality [VIDEO]
By Brittny Drye
An indie short film titled Homecoming, from the UK’s Coalition for Equal Marriage organization, is sweeping the Internet and rallying support for the proposed plan to legally recognize same-sex marriage in the UK.
The first of its kind from across the pond to tackle the civil rights issue through social media, it features the reunion of a soldier coming home to his sweetheart, and dropping to one knee, with a powerful line “All Men Can Be Heroes, All Men Can Be Husbands,” that is sure to send tears streaming.
Produced by award-winning filmmaker Mike Buonaiuto, the film “looks to tackle the opposition head on, arguing if all have the right to serve in British military regardless of sexuality, then all should be able celebrate their love and commitment with civil marriage, free from discrimination,” the young director tells Towleroad.com.
“One day I would like to marry my partner of almost 5 years,” says Buonaiuto. “And the celebration of our commitment should mean no more or less than any other straight couple. I made the film to promote change and also inspire others to use their creativity to support equality.”
Watch the video:
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Elizabeth Warren wants to give same-sex couples $57 million tax refunds
- Why our double proposal is a celebration of LGBTQ+ pride
- How our lives changed when we became gay parents with kids
- Summer luxe wedding inspiration at Summerour Studio in Atlanta
- Clarence Thomas says marriage equality ruling should be overturned
- A homophobic bride refused to hire a gay makeup artist for her wedding
- Having a wedding ring means I have to come out again and again
- I was insecure about not wanting a traditional wedding—until now
- Sunset engagement photos in Palm Springs, California
- Engagement photos in San Diego and Los Angeles, California