Gay Military Homecoming Film for Marriage Equality [VIDEO]
By Brittny Drye
An indie short film titled Homecoming, from the UK’s Coalition for Equal Marriage organization, is sweeping the Internet and rallying support for the proposed plan to legally recognize same-sex marriage in the UK.
The first of its kind from across the pond to tackle the civil rights issue through social media, it features the reunion of a soldier coming home to his sweetheart, and dropping to one knee, with a powerful line “All Men Can Be Heroes, All Men Can Be Husbands,” that is sure to send tears streaming.
Produced by award-winning filmmaker Mike Buonaiuto, the film “looks to tackle the opposition head on, arguing if all have the right to serve in British military regardless of sexuality, then all should be able celebrate their love and commitment with civil marriage, free from discrimination,” the young director tells Towleroad.com.
“One day I would like to marry my partner of almost 5 years,” says Buonaiuto. “And the celebration of our commitment should mean no more or less than any other straight couple. I made the film to promote change and also inspire others to use their creativity to support equality.”
Watch the video:
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- David + Anthony: Natural, earthy and warm Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding
- Jenny + Robin: a record-breaking cruise ship wedding vow renewal
- Meagan + Kristyn: an Austin, Texas, luxury outdoor wedding
- Torie + Alyssa: An intimate, bohemian and rustic wedding
- Uly + Ernesto: a monochrome winter engagement session at California sand dunes
- The Equally Wed LGBTQ+ wedding anniversary gift list
- Cozy in-cabin engagement photos in Manitoba, Canada
- Modern winter resort engagement photos in Scottsdale, Arizona
- Rainbow, flowers and sequins rooftop wedding in Washington, D.C.
- Colorful, whimsical wedding inspiration in Atlanta, Georgia