Brett and Eric had a lush and romantic backyard wedding in Alabama with the help of their family and close friends. They got engaged a year after they started dating, around Valentine’s Day 2014. This couple made history by becoming one of the first same-sex couples to get married in Alabama!
FROM THE PHOTOGRAPHER:
Brett and Eric share a beautiful love story. Because Alabama didn’t recognize same sex marriages at the time, their plan was to elope to NYC and have a small get-together with close friends and family later. Luckily for them and so many other couples, Alabama’s laws changed, and so did their plans! They applied for their marriage license the first day same-sex couples could on February 9th and planned on getting married four days later, that Friday the 13th!
Brett and Eric’s family came together and put their hearts into the planning to pull off the perfect backyard. We took portraits at Monte Sano State Park, just a few minutes up the road from Eric’s mother’s home, where the wedding was held. Rosalyn, a friend of Brett’s from college, performed a heartwarming ceremony. Even their cake was donated from a friend.
It was a pleasure shooting this special day and I am incredibly grateful to have made history in the state of Alabama!
Photography: j.woodbery photography
Venue: Private residence, Alabama
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
Follow Equally Wed on Instagram!
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration
- Anthony + Paul: boho-lux Portugal destination wedding
- Lakesha + Nikia: Decatur, Ga. outdoor wedding during the coronavirus
- David + Andrew: Midwestern Pride Wedding Giveaway winners marry
- Romantic Vancouver elopement inspiration
- David + Anthony: Natural, earthy and warm Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding
- Jenny + Robin: a record-breaking cruise ship wedding vow renewal
- Meagan + Kristyn: an Austin, Texas, luxury outdoor wedding