Brett and Eric had a lush and romantic backyard wedding in Alabama with the help of their family and close friends. They got engaged a year after they started dating, around Valentine’s Day 2014. This couple made history by becoming one of the first same-sex couples to get married in Alabama!
FROM THE PHOTOGRAPHER:
Brett and Eric share a beautiful love story. Because Alabama didn’t recognize same sex marriages at the time, their plan was to elope to NYC and have a small get-together with close friends and family later. Luckily for them and so many other couples, Alabama’s laws changed, and so did their plans! They applied for their marriage license the first day same-sex couples could on February 9th and planned on getting married four days later, that Friday the 13th!
Brett and Eric’s family came together and put their hearts into the planning to pull off the perfect backyard. We took portraits at Monte Sano State Park, just a few minutes up the road from Eric’s mother’s home, where the wedding was held. Rosalyn, a friend of Brett’s from college, performed a heartwarming ceremony. Even their cake was donated from a friend.
It was a pleasure shooting this special day and I am incredibly grateful to have made history in the state of Alabama!
Photography: j.woodbery photography
Venue: Private residence, Alabama
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- How to plan a fall wedding on a budget
- 5 mocktail recipes for your sober wedding guests
- 2023 LGBTQ+ wedding trends to watch for
- Jamie and Ashley’s florescent and fun May wedding at Greenhouse Lofts in Chicago
- Simple and elegant winter wedding for two brides in Santa Ana, California
- Low-key Louisville, Kentucky, wedding celebrates chosen family, queer joy and spirituality
- A weed wedding with earthy, elegant details
- Romantic Santorini sunset proposal
- Outdoor summer wedding in Acadia National Park
- New Mexico Badlands multicultural boho lesbian elopement
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot