Target T-Shirt Sales Support Minnesota Marriage Equality Campaign
By Jason Carson Wilson
Minnesota-based Target Corp. is making amends to the LGBT community. After earning the community’s wrath for donating $150,000 to former Republican governor candidate Tom Emmer, a marriage equality opponent, two years ago, Target is selling T-shirts to support Washington-based Family Equality Council, USA Today reported.
T-shirts, $12.99 each, are being sold at Target’s website through June or while supplies last. Four designs have been embellished with words like harmony and pride. Singer Gwen Stefani designed one of the shirts, which features the phrase, “Love is love.”
The council, part of a statewide coalition, is seeking to defeat a state constitutional amendment, which would ban gay marriage in Minnesota. That amendment is slated to be on the ballot in November. T-shirt sales are expected to generate about $120,000 for the organization.
“Target is pleased to be able to bring our guests products they want while, in turn, helping support the LGBT community through the donation of 100 percent of the purchase price to the Family Equality Council,” according to company statement.
Minnesota for Marriage Spokesman Chuck Darrell condemned and threatened Target’s gay marriage support. Darrell said the company just might feel consequences outside of Minnesota.
“Target is attacking traditional marriage, which is an incredibly misguided thing for them to have done,” said Chuck Darrell, spokesman for Minnesota for Marriage, a group campaigning to pass the constitutional marriage amendment. “It’s an insult to the overwhelming majority of their customers.”
Despite offering the new gay-friendly merchandise, Target doesn’t believe it’s making an endorsement. Spokeswoman Molly Snyder said the company’s taking no position on the amendment. Snyder noted gay and lesbian Target employees and their allies coordinated the T-shirt promotion.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married