By Gregory E. Miller
The days when bow ties were mandatory for weddings have long past. Grooms are ditching the staple of Harvard professors for regular ties, in varying degrees of width. But how skinny is too skinny? It depends on both your body shape and the rest of your look.
Striped silk tie, Express, $39.90
A traditional tie is around 3 to 4 inches in width at its widest point. These ties are meant to work for everyone, but they look best on guys with a little meat or muscle on them. Essentially, the thicker your neck, the better these look on you.
Chino suiting tie, J. Crew, $59.50
A skinny tie has become the mark of a man who knows fashion—they look great with a slim-cut or skinny leg suit. These can also work for any body type, but look best on men of athletic to slim build. Those who are exceptionally tall may also want to avoid them as they can give a long body the appearance of gawkiness.
Plum tie, Skinnyties.com, $14
This sliver of a tie, often around 1 to 2 inches in width, is not for the faint of heart. It’s guaranteed to grab some attention, so make sure the rest of your look is toned down.
Photos: from top to bottom: Express.com, Jcrew.com, Skinnyties.com
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Stunning private beach elopement in Moorea
- Joyous park engagement session in Washington with canine cameos
- State Dept. should allow embassies to advocate for marriage equality, Democrats say
- How to pick the perfect proposal spot
- Bright and joyful wedding at a Los Angeles automobile museum
- Sunny South Carolina elopement surrounded by greenery
- Elegant micro wedding ideas with live music and chic blue cake
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin can’t stop gushing about their newborn twins
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle