Remember when it was shameful to be a geek? Where if you read comic books past the age of 12, you were compared to the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, or if you played D&D, it was assumed that you were a dork who lived in your mother’s basement? That’s all over with—nowadays, if you don’t like something geeky (comic books, RPGs, video games, word games, etc.) then you’re not cool. You don’t have to keep your geekdom a secret anymore, especially on your wedding day! Now, we’re not saying don a frilly powder blue tuxedo and dance the Carlton—show your nerd pride with your wedding cake! We have 10 beautiful examples to help inspire you for your big day.
An adorable lesbian couple from Australia used Revolutionary Girl Utena as well as their love of gaming to create their sweet wedding cake.
NO TROUBLE WITH TRIBBLES
Real Gay Wedding alums David and Colin bonded over their love of Star Trek and incorporated it into their sweet cake.
D&D: DELICIOUS AND DARING
Geekologie found this breathtaking Dungeons & Dragons cake, complete with dragon and iconic twelve-sided dice.
Can’t decide which heroes to pay tribute to on your wedding day? Why not try all your favorites, like this awesome cake?
L-O-V-E = TRIPLE WORD SCORE
Scrabble was once thought of a game for word nerds, but thanks to apps like Words with Friends, everyone’s getting into the spirit. The beauty of a Scrabble-based cake? You can use proper nouns, and nobody will care.
PIECING YOUR LOVE TOGETHER
This Tetris cake is sure to delight gaming and math fans of all ages. Just make sure you don’t put the wrong Tetromino in the wrong spot!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
Geek-themed cakes can be tricky, especially for same-sex couples. Remember—you don’t have to use people involved within the thing you love, you can use objects, like this awesome Millennium Falcon cake from Star Wars.
Perfect for the academic couple. You can do so much with a book-themed cake—use books you both love, great love stories, clever titles using your names, the possibilities are endless!
WE <b>LOVE</b> THIS CAKE!
What geek chic wedding cake list would be complete without one dedicated to HTML programming?
When X-Men characters, Northstar and his human partner Kyle Jinadu, tied the knot, Marvel elebrated by hosting the nuptials of self-proclaimed comic geeks Scott Everhart and Jason Welker. Their comic book-themed wedding included this three-tiered beauty.
Photo: offbeatbride.com; David and Colin’s Real Wedding, photography by Brandon Witzel Photography; Geekologie; walyou.com; cakepicturegallery.com, foodnow.wordpress.com; blogs.laweekly.com; intimateweddings.com; huffingtonpost.com
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Pantone announces its 2023 color of the year
- Emily, Willie and Sarah’s DIY throuple wedding at the Inn on the Russian River in Monte Rio, California
- 10 things you need to create that perfect rainbow wedding
- Senate advances Respect for Marriage Act to protect recognition of marriage equality
- 10 ways to use burnt orange in your wedding
- Tam and Yiyun’s intimate summer wedding at Folktale Winery and Vineyards in Carmel Valley, California
- Stefany and Britt’s queer, nonbinary wedding at the Lace House in Columbia, South Carolina
- Priscilla and Jamesa’s fall wedding in Nashville, Tennessee, featured harvest hues of gold, burnt orange, terracotta rust and dusty rose
- Lindsey and Molly’s Christian wedding in New Bern, North Carolina, showcased their two dogs and had a dried flower confetti send-off
- Alyssa and Holly’s Colorado adventure session in Rocky Mountain National Park
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive and Affirming Wedding Venue Spotlight: Filoli
- Halle and Kayden’s Mount Rainier National Park Destination Wedding