Remember when it was shameful to be a geek? Where if you read comic books past the age of 12, you were compared to the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, or if you played D&D, it was assumed that you were a dork who lived in your mother’s basement? That’s all over with—nowadays, if you don’t like something geeky (comic books, RPGs, video games, word games, etc.) then you’re not cool. You don’t have to keep your geekdom a secret anymore, especially on your wedding day! Now, we’re not saying don a frilly powder blue tuxedo and dance the Carlton—show your nerd pride with your wedding cake! We have 10 beautiful examples to help inspire you for your big day.
An adorable lesbian couple from Australia used Revolutionary Girl Utena as well as their love of gaming to create their sweet wedding cake.
NO TROUBLE WITH TRIBBLES
Real Gay Wedding alums David and Colin bonded over their love of Star Trek and incorporated it into their sweet cake.
D&D: DELICIOUS AND DARING
Geekologie found this breathtaking Dungeons & Dragons cake, complete with dragon and iconic twelve-sided dice.
Can’t decide which heroes to pay tribute to on your wedding day? Why not try all your favorites, like this awesome cake?
L-O-V-E = TRIPLE WORD SCORE
Scrabble was once thought of a game for word nerds, but thanks to apps like Words with Friends, everyone’s getting into the spirit. The beauty of a Scrabble-based cake? You can use proper nouns, and nobody will care.
PIECING YOUR LOVE TOGETHER
This Tetris cake is sure to delight gaming and math fans of all ages. Just make sure you don’t put the wrong Tetromino in the wrong spot!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
Geek-themed cakes can be tricky, especially for same-sex couples. Remember—you don’t have to use people involved within the thing you love, you can use objects, like this awesome Millennium Falcon cake from Star Wars.
Perfect for the academic couple. You can do so much with a book-themed cake—use books you both love, great love stories, clever titles using your names, the possibilities are endless!
WE <b>LOVE</b> THIS CAKE!
What geek chic wedding cake list would be complete without one dedicated to HTML programming?
When X-Men characters, Northstar and his human partner Kyle Jinadu, tied the knot, Marvel elebrated by hosting the nuptials of self-proclaimed comic geeks Scott Everhart and Jason Welker. Their comic book-themed wedding included this three-tiered beauty.
Photo: offbeatbride.com; David and Colin’s Real Wedding, photography by Brandon Witzel Photography; Geekologie; walyou.com; cakepicturegallery.com, foodnow.wordpress.com; blogs.laweekly.com; intimateweddings.com; huffingtonpost.com
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day
- Nicole + Andrea: New York multicultural wedding with Caribbean roots (their first look photos are the sweetest!)
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing