Angelo + Sterling: DIY Filipino-American wedding in Venice, Florida
Angelo and Sterling’s DIY wedding centered around bringing their two cultures together: Filipino and American. The Venice, Florida, couple married on stage at the Venice Performing Arts Center. Their creative theme of elegance and light included peacock feathers and flowers adorning the stage, wooden altar and lanterns on the tables. Both partners wore custom-made embroidered Filipino Barong Tagalog coats designed by Heritage Barong. Sterling designed and baked the ube and green tea matcha wedding cake himself. Continuing on with the DIY theme, the two grooms created many of the decorations themselves.
The stage is where the couple first fell in love, so it was the perfect place to showcase the union of their two different cultures and spiritual traditions. The Filipino-American couple married their different upbringings in their hyphenated last name—both partners are now Jasa-Phillips.
The Florida couple says their biggest challenge was fear: they were conscious that “anything could happen for LGBTQ+ couples,” but they overwhelmingly found vendors were enthusiastic about making the day magical. “Take your time and don’t be afraid to create what you envision,” they advise other LGBTQ+ couples. “Be creative, and stick to your gut on how you envision your wedding day.”
Photographer: Skyewater Photo and Film
Ceremony venue: Venice Performing Arts Center
Reception venue: Venice Art Center
DJ: DJ Dan with First Class Events
Attire: Heritage Barong
Jewelry: The Wooden Circle Co.
Catering: Funky Fusion
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL
- Why Taha’a could be your dream honeymoon destination
- Boho garden wedding inspiration at Haiku I Do, Asheville
- Magical Moorea enchants for LGBTQ+ couples