Barry Manilow comes out as gay at 73
Legendary singer Barry Manilow opened up to “People” about his relationship status, publicly coming out as gay for the first time. While fans have suspected that Manilow is gay for quite some time, it was not until he confirmed his relationship with Garry Kief that the public’s suspicions were confirmed. Not only has the couple managed to keep their relationship out of the public eye for 40 years, they have been married for the last three years, tying the knot in front of 50 friends back in 2014.
Afraid of the public’s reaction, Manilow, who calls himself a private person, avoided coming out for the sake of his fans.
“I thought I would be disappointing them if they knew I was gay. So I never did anything,” shared Manilow. “When they found out that Garry and I were together, they were so happy. The reaction was so beautiful — strangers commenting, ‘Great for you!’ I’m just so grateful for it.”
Kief is also a private person, who almost did not date Manilow because of his life in the spotlight. Now, in addition to husband, Kief is both Manilow’s manager and President of Barry Manilow Productions.
“I got into the car with him, and [the fans] were rocking the car,” Manilow recounts about a date with Kief. “He was like, ‘I can’t handle this. It’s not for me.’ I’m glad he stayed.”
Barry Manilow took to Twitter to thank his fans for their overwhelming support.
Thank you to my fans for the years of support. My story is out and I look forward to many more years of sharing my music. https://t.co/fRA9BPwqIU
— Barry Manilow (@barrymanilow) April 5, 2017
Manilow’s new album, “This Is My Town: Songs of New York” debuts April 21.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Inclusive Wedding Fair debuts in Fayetteville, Tennessee
- Sunny outdoor Canadian wedding with haystack photos and geometric arch
- Cottagecore wedding ideas with poetry, tarot cards, and pagan altar
- Sunny Sedona elopement with picnic and guitar
- 5 wedding headpiece trends you’ll see in 2022
- Grand Las Vegas proposal with candles, rose petals, and light boxes
- Drag queen wedding inspiration with flowing floral gown and cotton candy wall
- Israel legalizes surrogacy for LGBTQ+ couples
- LGBTQ+ wedding titles: bride, groom, marrier and more!
- Fairytale outdoor wedding in New Jersey with whimsical decor and endless greenery
- Black and gold Hollywood wedding at The Ebell of Los Angeles
- Basketball-themed golden hour engagement session in Calgary
- Winter elopement inspiration on a frozen Canadian lake
- Tropical themed wedding with splashes of disco and Hollywood glamour
- Why LGBTQ+ couples should rent from Generation Tux
- Two grooms try Generation Tux for winter wedding inspiration in Atlanta
- Springtime English barn wedding at a vineyard on a hill
- Weekend-long summer camp wedding with alpacas, food trucks, and water activities
- Wedding photographer seeking right to turn away LGBTQ+ couples loses lawsuit
- Breathtaking Santorini proposal with rose petals and a heart made of candles