Bloomington Mayor to Conduct Mass Gay Wedding in Protest
By Brittny Drye
As Indiana’s looming legislative ban against same-sex weddings becomes closer to a reality, citizens of Bloomington are not standing by to watch. On Thursday night, a mass wedding ceremony for more than a dozen LGBT couples will take place at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, coinciding with the 10th anniversary of the city’s PRIDE LGBTQ Film Festival. Presiding over the ceremony will be none other than Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan.
“He’s long held the beliefs of equal rights for all,” said Adam Wason, spokesman for the mayor’s office, “and has supported gay marriage.”
The event is doubling as a protest to the proposed ban. “We’re hoping very much to first and foremost galvanize the LGBT community, make them aware of and begin to take action with all of their legislators on the importance of stopping this proposed amendment,” says Danielle McClelland, spokeswoman for the festival.
The proposal for the constitutional amendment passed through Indiana’s House and Senate in 2011 but before heading to the ballot for voters to choose, lawmakers must approve the legislation a second time in sessions either this year or next. Of course, they’re also racing against the Supreme Court clock, as their efforts may be a moot point if the high court rules in our favor.
Brittny Drye is the senior editor at Equally Wed, the nation’s premier online magazine for gay and lesbian weddings and honeymoons. Follow her on Twitter @BrittnyDrye.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC