Buns Away! 5 Sophisticated Updos for Your Wedding Day
By Brittny Drye
Buns are a perfect wedding hairstyle option—they’re timeless, can be accessorized and come in a number of various styles. Check out our five favorites, from the sock bun to the chic chignon, plus tips on creating the look for your special day.
The sock bun is currently the most trendy of the buns, and the DIY-friendly ‘do is exceptionally elegant. We recommend checking out this video for an easy tutorial. (Bonus, sock buns give your hair killer waves when let down, perfect for the after-party.)
Using a cocktail of MoroccanOil products, runway stylist Tamara McNaughton created beautiful, free-spirited ballerina buns at Isaac Mizrahi’s Bridal Week show. “We wanted looks that were simple and elegant, but not too ‘done,’” she explained. We got the scoop backstage on how to recreate the look.
There are few things that are as classic as the chignon, but the side placement gives it a particularly vintage vibe. To recreate this look, curl hair to create waves and pull into a low ponytail. Bring to the side by twisting along the nape of your neck, pinning as you go. Once you reach your ear, shape the remaining hair into curls, and pin them back over the twist.
Badgley Mischka’s latest bridal collection featured graceful 1930s-inspired gowns with dramatic embroidery and beading. To complement this elegant fashion line, renowned hairstylist Peter Gray created romantic chignons with a twist, and accessorized with oversized silk flowers. Check out the how-to here.
Braided buns add another level of interest with chunky texture and are as simple as three-to-five braids pinned into a bun shape.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Marriage equality passes in Northern Ireland
- Hong Kong rules against marriage equality
- Let’s get one thing straight: Bisexuals can still marry someone of a different gender
- Reports: Supreme Court appeared divided over protections for LGBTQ employees
- Black tie wedding at the Blanton Museum in Austin, Texas
- With Brie Larson’s help, a man proposed to his boyfriend at Comic Con
- This romantic sunset proposal at OUE Skyspace has a beautiful backstory
- Vintage travel-inspired fall wedding in Iowa City, Iowa
- Teal and orange fall wedding inspiration in Lake Mary, Florida
- This scavenger hunt at Gas Works Park ends with a proposal