Buns Away! 5 Sophisticated Updos for Your Wedding Day
By Brittny Drye
Buns are a perfect wedding hairstyle option—they’re timeless, can be accessorized and come in a number of various styles. Check out our five favorites, from the sock bun to the chic chignon, plus tips on creating the look for your special day.
The sock bun is currently the most trendy of the buns, and the DIY-friendly ‘do is exceptionally elegant. We recommend checking out this video for an easy tutorial. (Bonus, sock buns give your hair killer waves when let down, perfect for the after-party.)
Using a cocktail of MoroccanOil products, runway stylist Tamara McNaughton created beautiful, free-spirited ballerina buns at Isaac Mizrahi’s Bridal Week show. “We wanted looks that were simple and elegant, but not too ‘done,’” she explained. We got the scoop backstage on how to recreate the look.
There are few things that are as classic as the chignon, but the side placement gives it a particularly vintage vibe. To recreate this look, curl hair to create waves and pull into a low ponytail. Bring to the side by twisting along the nape of your neck, pinning as you go. Once you reach your ear, shape the remaining hair into curls, and pin them back over the twist.
Badgley Mischka’s latest bridal collection featured graceful 1930s-inspired gowns with dramatic embroidery and beading. To complement this elegant fashion line, renowned hairstylist Peter Gray created romantic chignons with a twist, and accessorized with oversized silk flowers. Check out the how-to here.
Braided buns add another level of interest with chunky texture and are as simple as three-to-five braids pinned into a bun shape.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal