Choosing a caterer: 35 questions to ask when interviewing
More often than not, food tends to be the most memorable part of a wedding for guests. They might not remember what you wore, what song you danced to or even the name of the venue but they will be able to remember if the food was good and maybe even what they ate. The food served at a wedding also tends to be the budget item where guests spend the most money. Choosing a caterer is a wedding planning task that should not be taken likely. A lot of trust is being put into the people behind your wedding menu, so be sure to interview them thoroughly. First and foremost, determine if the vendor is equality-minded.
Not sure what to ask potential caterers? Take this list with you.
What to ask when choosing a caterer
- Have you worked at my venue before?
- What equipment do you need on-site (electrical, water, heat, etc.)?
- Do you recommend a sit-down, buffet, cocktail or family-style meal?
- What are the costs associated with each?
- What is included in your fees?
- Which gratuities are included in your price?
- Is your menu flexible?
- Can I give you a specialty recipe to make?
- Where do you source your food from?
- How do you accommodate allergies and dietary restrictions?
- What happens to leftovers?
- What is your cleanup policy?
- How do you handle last minute requests?
- Is there a special kids’ menu available?
- How much do you charge for children’s meals?
- May I see your up-to-date health permits?
- Do you have a liquor license?
- How do you calculate your alcohol costs? Per person or per consumption?
- Do you charge a fee if we provide our own alcohol?
- Is a champagne toast included in your price?
- Do you offer signature drinks for those not drinking alcohol?
- Does your company offer wedding cakes?
- Is there a cake cutting fee if we bring in a cake from elsewhere?
- What will your staff wear that day?
- How many guests do you assign per server?
- What does your liability insurance include?
- How do you handle gratuities with your staff?
- What type of utensils, linens, etc. do you provide?
- Will you set tables, place cards, etc?
- How much deposit is required upfront?
- Do you offer a payment plan?
- How far in advance do you require booking?
- How many weddings do you serve on the same day?
- How many weddings do you serve per year?
- Is a free menu tasting available?
Share with us, what other questions have you asked your caterers?
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Is engagement photography worth the time and money?
- Golden hour proposal in the mountains of San Diego, California
- Botanical, tropical fall greenhouse wedding in St. Louis, Missouri
- Celebrity wedding planner Colin Cowie marries Danny Peuscovich in outdoor luxury South Africa wedding
- Outdoor DIY fall wedding at the Solarium in Decatur, Georgia
- After 20 years, two grooms celebrate with whimsical winery wedding
- 4 things you can do if you can’t go on a honeymoon right after the wedding
- Allure Bridals introduces Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Collection
- Why Naples is a great place for LGBTQ+ weddings and honeymoons
- Inclusivity is a wedding priority reveals The Knot’s Real Weddings Study