Cynthia Nixon Enlists First Openly Gay Bishop to Officiate Nuptials
By Brittny Drye
Cynthia Nixon has enlisted Bishop Gene Robinson, the first openly gay clergyman, to perform the wedding ceremony between her and fiancee Christine Marinoni this May.
The celebrity siren, who recently debuted a new bald look for her cancer patient role in the Broadway play Wit, made headlines this week when she told New York Times magazine that she chose to be gay. “I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me,” she says in the article.
The statement has created a whirlwind of remarks, including one from Robinson. “I think we go down a terrible road when we pin all of our arguments on the choice issue,” he told Queerty.com. “One of the freedoms God gives us is the freedom to love whom we will, and then to love that person with all that we have. I think choice has very little to do with it.”
Nixon and Marinoni, who is an education activist, began dating in 2003 and got engaged in 2009. Marinoni gave birth to the couple’s first child together in Feb. 2011. The couple plan to tie the knot over Memorial Day weekend. “It’s going to be my great pleasure to be there and to be a part of that celebration,” says Robinson.
Watch Queerty’s full interview with Robinson:
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal