The traditional Scottish wraparound is giving grooms and brooms more attire alternatives for their weddings.
By Brittny Drye
The brilliance behind fashion houses such as Comme des Garcons, Dior, Rag & Bone, and Burberry have all sent kilts down their men’s runways. John Galliano once opted for sequined skirts for Dior in ‘09, while Marcus Wainwright and David Neville tapped into their English roots for Rag & Bone’s Fall 2011 show with red tartan kilts. Needless to say, the skirts have certainly gotten street cred outside of Scotland. We’ve seen it on the runway, so why not the aisle? Paired with a vest or a jacket, it’s a fashionable twist on the tuxedo.
For those who want to deviate from the tux standard, here are seven options for kilt couture:
If you do have a Scottish heritage, wearing a traditional kilt on your big day is a nice nod to your lineage.
Perfect for cold weather nuptials, a wool kilt by Pringles of Scotland is classic, simple and chic.
This raw cut leather kilt by Jean Paul Gaultier will add a little edge to the aisle.
For those with a vintage heart, opt for a steampunk utility kilt, such as this one from StumpTown Kilts, with antique brass snaps and rivets.
With multi-layers, leather panels and a shearling waist, you’re sure to make a statement with this kilt from Pringles of Scotland.
It’s all about the hardware details with this piece from Alt.Kilt. Featuring antique brass rivets, gear and chain-link buttons and leather accents, it gives a bit more flair to the function.
If you’re planning a spring wedding and want to wear white, hold off for this white twill cotton kilt from Givenchy that waltzed down the Spring/Summer 2012 runway.
Brittny Drye is a New York City-based freelance writer who meticulously spins words for a variety of sites ranging from fashion to food, while she undertakes the excruciatingly long process of penning her first novel.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot