Forget an elaborate, 8-tiered cake. The latest wedding dessert trend is simple, a little messy and oh-so-delicious.
Is there anyone who doesn’t love a warm apple pie fresh from the oven? It’s the ultimate comfort dessert, which is why so many couples have been bucking tradition and serving pie in lieu of cake on their big day. “I’ve seen more and more couples wanting a homemade, cozy, organic feel to their weddings,” says Karen Portaleo, co-owner and lead cake decorator at Highland Bakery in Atlanta and frequent Food Network competition winner. “Pies add to that rustic vibe—it’s the complete opposite of a formal, detailed wedding cake.”
Better still, it’s easier—and more fun—to make your own wedding pies if you’re a DIY bride or groom. But whether you tap into your inner craftiness or commission a baker to make your dessert, check out these eight pies for dessert inspiration at your wedding.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC