Forget an elaborate, 8-tiered cake. The latest wedding dessert trend is simple, a little messy and oh-so-delicious.
Is there anyone who doesn’t love a warm apple pie fresh from the oven? It’s the ultimate comfort dessert, which is why so many couples have been bucking tradition and serving pie in lieu of cake on their big day. “I’ve seen more and more couples wanting a homemade, cozy, organic feel to their weddings,” says Karen Portaleo, co-owner and lead cake decorator at Highland Bakery in Atlanta and frequent Food Network competition winner. “Pies add to that rustic vibe—it’s the complete opposite of a formal, detailed wedding cake.”
Better still, it’s easier—and more fun—to make your own wedding pies if you’re a DIY bride or groom. But whether you tap into your inner craftiness or commission a baker to make your dessert, check out these eight pies for dessert inspiration at your wedding.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot