With This Ring…
A casual trip to a jewelry store reveals much more than expected.
By Lashawn Muhammad
Denita and I’s first encounter was during the fall recreation football season of 2008, when a mutual friend introduced us. Over the course of the season, we would occasionally see each other, though nothing more than pleasant exchanges were made. Finally, I asked our mutual friend to get her number for me. Successful, several text conversations were soon exchanged but, after the end of football season, we seemingly lost touch.
In March 2009, while I was attending my youngest son’s basketball game, I received a text from her out of the blue, which instantly put a smile on my face. I was so excited to hear from her again! We scheduled a lunch date at Wendy’s for that upcoming Tuesday and over a casual burgers and fries meal, we felt instant chemistry. Over the next few days, we texted each other and went out on another date, and have been together ever since. I thank God each and every day for allowing our paths to cross.
This past summer, on June 16, a day in between our birthdays (Denita’s is June 14 while mine is June 18), we were spending the afternoon shopping. While at the local mall, we stopped at a Kay Jewelers store to casually look at rings and bridal sets, and we each found ones that we loved. However, I had no idea that would be the day that Denita would propose to me. Right there, in the jewelry store, Denita popped the question. I honestly did not know whether to laugh and smile or to cry because I was so happy. At that moment I knew my life was complete and I had found the true meaning of happiness.
We will be married June 16, exactly one year after our engagement. Our summer wedding will be held at the Belmont Recreation & Golf Course in Richmond, VA amongst close friends and family.
Want to see your proposal story in Equally Wed Magazine? For consideration, send an e-mail briefly outlining the highlights of your story and a snapshot of you two to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission of your photos, videos and letters constitutes permission to Palladino Publishing, publisher of Equally Wed Magazine and EquallyWed.com, to use them in all media.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Adventure engagement photos in the mountains
- 10 LGBTQ+ wedding details that will make your heart explode!
- Fairy themed trans wedding in wine country
- Stunning waterfront photos to celebrate IVF and starting a family
- ABA issues formal opinion that judges can’t refuse same-sex marriages
- I didn’t think Valentine’s Day was for queer couples—now I love celebrating it
- Feminine edgy pink and black wedding inspiration
- Southwestern garden wedding inspiration
- Bank lobby flash mob proposal
- This Republican bill seeks to strip gay marriage rights in Tennessee