The socially progressive and tolerant island nation of Iceland legalized the recognition of gay marriage on Friday. In a unanimous vote, Parliament approved the law, which changes the definition of marriage to include same-sex unions. Homosexuality does not generate much controversy in Iceland, where voters elected Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, who is a lesbian, Prime Minister in 2009. Sigurðardóttir is the world’s first openly gay head of state.
MOST VIEWED STORIES
- Elegant outdoor wedding in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, for two expats
- Remembering The Day: How To Make Wedding Magic Last A Lifetime
- A destination elopement in Iceland with freshly picked blue lupine bouquets for pansexual brides
- Sunlit San Francisco wedding with evening boat cruise
- Traditional Episcopal wedding with quirky DIY touches