LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
Lesbians, bisexuals, transgender people, and single women in Spain will now have access to IVF treatment through the country’s public health care system.
The Spanish health minister, Carolina Darias, signed an order today mandating that these groups have the ability to obtain IVF, the Associated Press reported.
While IVF is free through the Spanish healthcare system, it has only been available to partnered heterosexual women for the past six years, a rule put in place by the Conservative Popular Party. Anyone else has had to pay private companies to receive the same care.
Now, however, the country is under a socialist government that has demonstrated a commitment to advancing equality, according to the Associated Press, which also pointed out that the government has record number of women serving in the Cabinet.
The move comes only a few months after France passed a similar measure.
After signing in Spain, Darias tweeted, “We have restored rights that should never have been abolished” and declared, “We are a government that fulfills its commitments.”
A partir de hoy, las mujeres sin pareja, lesbianas, bisexuales y personas trans con capacidad de gestar, tendrán acceso a las técnicas de #RHA en el #SNS. Hemos restituido derechos que nunca tenían que haberse suprimido.
Somos un gobierno que cumple sus compromisos https://t.co/LzXm1chtYs
— Carolina Darias (@CarolinaDarias) November 5, 2021
The president of Spain’s alliance of LGBTQ rights’ groups, Uge Sangil, celebrated the move at the ceremony where the order was signed.
“Let no one doubt that expanding reproductive rights is expanding human rights,” Sangil said.
ILGA-Europe–the European segment of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association, also showed enthusiasm for the move.
“We welcome the expansion of IVF rights to single women, lesbians, bisexuals and trans people in Spain,” the organization tweeted, “and congratulate the activists who have long fought for it!”
We welcome the expansion of IVF rights to single women, lesbians, bisexuals and trans people in Spain, and congratulate activists who have long fought for it! https://t.co/CMNJJWvbm4
— ILGA-Europe (@ILGAEurope) November 5, 2021
filed under: equality news, LGBTQ+ families, lesbian families, transgender families, bisexual families, LGBTQ+ reproduction, IVF, assisted reproductive technology
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL
- Why Taha’a could be your dream honeymoon destination
- Boho garden wedding inspiration at Haiku I Do, Asheville
- Magical Moorea enchants for LGBTQ+ couples