LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
Lesbians, bisexuals, transgender people, and single women in Spain will now have access to IVF treatment through the country’s public health care system.
The Spanish health minister, Carolina Darias, signed an order today mandating that these groups have the ability to obtain IVF, the Associated Press reported.
While IVF is free through the Spanish healthcare system, it has only been available to partnered heterosexual women for the past six years, a rule put in place by the Conservative Popular Party. Anyone else has had to pay private companies to receive the same care.
Now, however, the country is under a socialist government that has demonstrated a commitment to advancing equality, according to the Associated Press, which also pointed out that the government has record number of women serving in the Cabinet.
The move comes only a few months after France passed a similar measure.
After signing in Spain, Darias tweeted, “We have restored rights that should never have been abolished” and declared, “We are a government that fulfills its commitments.”
A partir de hoy, las mujeres sin pareja, lesbianas, bisexuales y personas trans con capacidad de gestar, tendrán acceso a las técnicas de #RHA en el #SNS. Hemos restituido derechos que nunca tenían que haberse suprimido.
Somos un gobierno que cumple sus compromisos https://t.co/LzXm1chtYs
— Carolina Darias (@CarolinaDarias) November 5, 2021
The president of Spain’s alliance of LGBTQ rights’ groups, Uge Sangil, celebrated the move at the ceremony where the order was signed.
“Let no one doubt that expanding reproductive rights is expanding human rights,” Sangil said.
ILGA-Europe–the European segment of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association, also showed enthusiasm for the move.
“We welcome the expansion of IVF rights to single women, lesbians, bisexuals and trans people in Spain,” the organization tweeted, “and congratulate the activists who have long fought for it!”
We welcome the expansion of IVF rights to single women, lesbians, bisexuals and trans people in Spain, and congratulate activists who have long fought for it! https://t.co/CMNJJWvbm4
— ILGA-Europe (@ILGAEurope) November 5, 2021
filed under: equality news, LGBTQ+ families, lesbian families, transgender families, bisexual families, LGBTQ+ reproduction, IVF, assisted reproductive technology
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca
- LGBTQ+ people in Spain now have access to IVF treatment to build their families
- Four reasons LGBTQ+ couples should consider a Charleston honeymoon
- California engagement session surrounded by sparkling trees
- Kristen Stewart and Dylan Meyer are engaged!
- How Frank Darling can help LGBTQ+ couples design the perfect custom rings