LGBTQ+ wedding titles: bride, groom, marrier and more!
Historically, people who are getting married have had to choose between two wedding titles: bride or groom. However, not everyone feels comfortable with those options. Well, guess what? You don’t have to call yourself a bride or a groom if neither feels authentic to you.
Below is a nonexhaustive list of wedding title choices for anyone getting married, whether you’re gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, heterosexual, male, female, nonbinary or any other identity.
a person getting married, tends to be used more by feminine-leaning people
a combination of bride and groom or a shortened version of bridegroom
defined as a man to be married, but can be redefined for masculine-leaning women, genderqueer and nonbinary individuals
a combination of groom and bride
a person getting married, tends to be used more by masculine-leaning people
a gender-neutral term for a person getting married (*this isn’t the original meaning of the word but I’ve been using it this way since starting Equally Wed in 2010, and it’s really caught on!)
This title demonstrates equality in every way.
Simple, right? No one belongs in a box.
Have more wedding titles to add? Share in the comments!
Photographer: Peterson Design & Photography (selected from our feature Black and gold Hollywood wedding at The Ebell of Los Angeles)
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- LGBTQ+ honeymoon destination: Iceland
- Inclusive Wedding Fair debuts in Fayetteville, Tennessee
- Sunny outdoor Canadian wedding with haystack photos and geometric arch
- Cottagecore wedding ideas with poetry, tarot cards, and pagan altar
- Sunny Sedona elopement with picnic and guitar
- 5 wedding headpiece trends you’ll see in 2022
- Grand Las Vegas proposal with candles, rose petals, and light boxes
- Drag queen wedding inspiration with flowing floral gown and cotton candy wall
- Israel legalizes surrogacy for LGBTQ+ couples
- LGBTQ+ wedding titles: bride, groom, marrier and more!
- Fairytale outdoor wedding in New Jersey with whimsical decor and endless greenery
- Black and gold Hollywood wedding at The Ebell of Los Angeles