My Wife is Now Legally Male – Is Our Legal Gay Marriage Still Legal as a Heterosexual Marriage?
Q Now that my wife is legally male, and we were legally wed as a gay couple does our marriage now hold legally in all 50 states?
A To get you a better answer than I could provide on my own, I inquired with a friend of mine, a queer woman legally married to a trans man. She says, “Trans marriage legalities depend on the state in which the couple was married and on whether or not the transperson has been able to change their gender on their birth certificate (which is in itself very complicated and varies by the state in which a person was born). Even marriages with spouses of different legal genders have been contested in court, and every case that has been tried is different. It would probably be best to contact a knowledgeable lawyer in their state.
Kirsten Ott Palladino is the co-founder and editor in chief of Equally Wed, the nation’s leading gay and lesbian wedding and honeymoon magazine. Follow her on Twitter. Connect with her on Facebook. Write her with your gay wedding questions. If she can’t answer it, she’ll find another expert who can!
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married