My Wife is Now Legally Male – Is Our Legal Gay Marriage Still Legal as a Heterosexual Marriage?
Q Now that my wife is legally male, and we were legally wed as a gay couple does our marriage now hold legally in all 50 states?
A To get you a better answer than I could provide on my own, I inquired with a friend of mine, a queer woman legally married to a trans man. She says, “Trans marriage legalities depend on the state in which the couple was married and on whether or not the transperson has been able to change their gender on their birth certificate (which is in itself very complicated and varies by the state in which a person was born). Even marriages with spouses of different legal genders have been contested in court, and every case that has been tried is different. It would probably be best to contact a knowledgeable lawyer in their state.
Kirsten Ott Palladino is the co-founder and editor in chief of Equally Wed, the nation’s leading gay and lesbian wedding and honeymoon magazine. Follow her on Twitter. Connect with her on Facebook. Write her with your gay wedding questions. If she can’t answer it, she’ll find another expert who can!
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Joyous park engagement session in Washington with canine cameos
- State Dept. should allow embassies to advocate for marriage equality, Democrats say
- How to pick the perfect proposal spot
- Bright and joyful wedding at a Los Angeles automobile museum
- Sunny South Carolina elopement surrounded by greenery
- Elegant micro wedding ideas with live music and chic blue cake
- Lance Bass & Michael Turchin can’t stop gushing about their newborn twins
- Oklahoma elopement in the Wichita Mountains with enchanting all-black attire
- Creative LGBTQ+ wedding ideas for your clients
- This couple transformed their home into a fabulous wedding venue
- Botswana court of appeals hears case on decriminalization of homosexuality
- Cozy at home proposal with coffee and kisses
- Cardi B surprise officiated a lesbian wedding with help from Raven Symoné
- Keep an eye out for these 2022 wedding trends
- September garden wedding at a 15th century Italian villa
- Lesbian brides accidentally wore the same dress and the first look photos are priceless
- Glowing sunset wedding in Glacier National Park
- Dreamy greenhouse engagement session in New Jersey
- How to choose a wedding hairstyle
- Backyard South Carolina wedding on the lake