David + Anthony: Natural, earthy and warm Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding
David and Anthony’s Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding was natural, earthy, comfortable and warm. The grooms were engaged for 16 months before they tied the knot. David proposed in Oregon at the family’s favorite winery. At their ceremony, each groom was escorted by his mother.
Equally Wed: What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
David + Anthony: To not listen to the stereotypes others try and place on your relationship. Do what feels right for you and your significant other without ever worrying what others may say or think. You’ll know immediately if you get a negative vibe from a vendor after they find out you are a same sex couple. If it doesn’t feel right, move on to the next. You want to feel the chemistry with the photographer, videographer, florist, etc. It makes all the difference in the world.
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Please update your questionnaires to have more options than just bride and groom. Fortunately, almost all of our vendors had updated questionnaires, but we came across several ones behind the times. Don’t make assumptions based of LGBTQ wedding you’ve seen in the movies or on TV. Not all LGBTQ couples want that type of stereotypical wedding; but if they do, more power to them. That’s the beauty of creating your special day.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Everything is geared toward “brides.” We went to several wedding shows and many didn’t know how to react when they discovered we were two grooms. Many people in the wedding industry make a lot of assumptions like we only wanted a stereotypical flamboyant wedding or we didn’t have an option at all since we were two grooms. Fortunately, everyone we chose (venue and vendors) were incredible. If we came across anyone who we didn’t connect with, we went on to the next vendor.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
The vendors we came across who were incredibly accommodating and nice. Ultimately, all we cared about was getting married and sharing our day with our family and friends. It wasn’t about the fact it was a “gay wedding,” but rather two people truly in love were getting married.
Photography: Shannon Z Photography
Venue: The Atrium
Florist: Belle Fiori
DJ: Sound by Design
Suits: Tom James
Jeweler: Alyssa + Anna
Videography: Character D Films
Catering + Cake: From Scratch Catering
Want to submit your wedding or engagement story? We’re always looking for more LGBTQ+ weddings and engagements to share with our readers. Click here to read our submission guidelines. Interested in getting your business in front of the largest concentration of LGBTQ+ couples planning their weddings and supporting our editorial mission to bring LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration and information to LGBTQ+ couples and the professionals who celebrate them? Every Equally Wed vendor makes a solemn pledge to treat their customers with respect and love, no matter their gender identity, gender expression or sexual orientation. If you love celebrating LGBTQ+ couples in love, email us at email@example.com or click here to sign up online.
Equally Wed Editors
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH