Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka Marry in Italy
Kelly Ripa delivered some saucy news today when she shared on “Live with Kelly & Michael” about why she wasn’t at Joan Rivers’ funeral this weekend, saying she, instead, was at Neil Patrick Harris’ wedding to fiancé David Burtka.
She said she was in Italy for the nuptials, while the funeral took place in New York. “I went to a destination wedding—the wedding of Neil Patrick Harris and his partner David Burtka: breaking news!” she revealed. “It was a very quiet, very private, very family affair … I probably wasn’t even supposed to talk about it. No, Neil said I could talk!”
Harris also tweeted the announcement, saying “Guess what? @DavidBurtka and I got married over the weekend. In Italy. Yup, we put the ‘n’ and ‘d’ in ‘husband’”
— Neil Patrick Harris (@ActuallyNPH) September 8, 2014
Ripa added that it was at a rented castle and that Elton John also performed. People magazine reports that Harris, 41, and Burtka, 39, wore custom Tom Ford tuxedos and that their close friend and mentor Pam Fryman, the longtime director of “How I Met Your Mother,” officiated.
But none of that compares to the couple’s very own orange boy. This might be the cutest story ever: According to Ripa, “Harper was going to be the flower girl and Gideon was going to be the ring bearer, and he said, ‘I don’t want to be the ring bearer!’ And they said, ‘OK, well, what do you want to be?’ And he said, ‘I want to be the orange boy.’ And he passed out oranges to everybody as he came down the aisle. He came up with it on his own. He had his little tux and his top hat and he was passing out oranges.”
Harris, 41, and Burtka have been together since 2004 and their twins via a surrogate—Gideon Scott, a boy, and Harper Grace, a girl—were born in 2010.
Congrats, gents! We can’t wait to see more photos!
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Elizabeth Warren wants to give same-sex couples $57 million tax refunds
- Why our double proposal is a celebration of LGBTQ+ pride
- How our lives changed when we became gay parents with kids
- Summer luxe wedding inspiration at Summerour Studio in Atlanta
- Clarence Thomas says marriage equality ruling should be overturned
- A homophobic bride refused to hire a gay makeup artist for her wedding
- Having a wedding ring means I have to come out again and again
- I was insecure about not wanting a traditional wedding—until now
- Sunset engagement photos in Palm Springs, California
- Engagement photos in San Diego and Los Angeles, California