Nerdy and elegant Kingdom Hearts inspired wedding
Katherine and Cassidy wanted a chic geek wedding that encapsulated their love of Kingdom Hearts and our generally goofy selves, all while still giving everyone the feeling of attending an elegant party. They got married on September 28, 2019, after a two-year engagement (Katherine asked Cassidy to marry her).
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Don’t stress over traditions and what other people think a wedding should be. Your wedding is a celebration of the next step in your journey, and at the end of the day, it should be something you and your partner look back on as not the happiest day of your life, but the beginning of the happiest days of your life. And don’t be afraid to be your quirky self!
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Please have paperwork that does not define gender roles like bride and groom. We had a vendor who actually changed their form when we informed them of the frustration, and it meant the world to us and her! Choosing which bride was the “groom” on multiple forms was unnecessarily frustrating, and we were drawn towards vendors and creatives who did not only have a “token gay couple” on their website.
Who walked down the aisle and with whom? Or who (if anyone) waited at the front?
Katherine and Cassidy both appeared at the door together on their father’s arms. Joe, the officiant, then cut the musicians off and called, “Heads or tails?” down the aisle. Katherine and Cassidy staked their claim, and Cassidy won! She walked down the aisle with her father, and once she was at the front, Katherine and her father followed suit.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
We thankfully faced no challenges, in large part because of our very knowledgeable and amazing wedding planner Chanda. We are lucky enough to have completely supportive families and friends, and to live in the Bay Area where LGBTQ+ businesses and people are plentiful!
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Finding Chanda, who has coordinated so many LGBTQ+ weddings before, was a wonderful surprise! In addition, our creative who changed her form so that it was more inclusive was a very touching moment for us.
Photographer: Nightingale Photography
Venue: The Claremont Country Club
Florist: Sweetness & Light Flowers
Planner: Chanda Daniels for A Monique Affair, An Equally Wed Preferred Vendor
Invitations: Bowerbird Atelier
Jewelry: Gold & Gems Fine Jewelry
Catering: The Claremont Country Club
Cake Designer: Pietisserie
Linens: Napa Valley Linens
Photo Booth: Archival Photo Booth
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot