New York Metro Transit Authority goes gender-neutral
If you’ve ever traveled on the New York subway system, you’ve heard the familiar “Ladies and Gentlemen” announcement that booms through the train and on the platform. The New York Metro Transit Authority (MTA) is taking a step toward gender inclusivity by changing the language on their announcements.
The booming “Ladies and Gentlemen,” terminology will be replaced with neutral terms such as, “passengers,” “riders” and “everyone.”
Other changes include calendar updates, such as the reminder passengers received over the weekend to thank a Veteran, and conductors drawing attention to local landmarks that correspond to stops on the line.
“It’s all part of a series of changes outlined in a 9-page memo that seeks to fundamentally change the way the agency communicates with its customers,” according to CBS New York. “The MTA wants conductors to be more empathetic – more human – with riders.”
RELATED: All aboard the Pride Train
The change was put into place immediately for live announcements. The MTA is working on recreating previously recorded messages to now include the wording changes, however they are working on moving recordings to real-time updates.
Featured image via The Odyssey Online
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- New Mexico Badlands multicultural boho lesbian elopement
- Get inspired by the romantic vibes at this Minneapolis candlelit wedding
- Quirky and sweet Colorado couple’s scene-matching city photo shoot
- A new bill aims to protect same-sex marriage. What would it do if Obergefell falls?
- Sentimental Elements Shine For These Two Brides’ Virginia Beach Wedding Featuring Bourbon, Rainbows and a Plethora of Family Support
- Colorful New York Rainbow Wedding Featuring A Drag Queen, Handmade Arch and Boho Decor
- Booksmart Actress Beanie Feldstein Engaged to Bonnie Chance Roberts
- Ohio Fall Wedding with Irish Hand Fasting
- Sunrise engagement session on the beach of Asbury Park New Jersey
- Intimate DIY Airbnb Wedding for Two Brides
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams