Oprah Says Same-Sex Couples May Make Institution Of Marriage Stronger (VIDEO)
Oprah Winfrey recently discussed same-sex marriage for OWN’s “Super Soul Sunday.” The heated issue continues to be debated, though more Americans are opening up to say they support gay marriage.
OWN posted the following commentary and video on Huffington Post.
In this clip from “Super Soul Sunday,” Oprah and a panel of thought leaders—Rev. Ed Bacon, author Elizabeth Lesser and author Mark Nepo—take on the topic of gay marriage and get to the heart of the issue: Is same-sex marriage a threat to the institution of traditional marriage?
“Absolutely not,” says Rev. Bacon. As someone who has officiated many gay and straight marriages, the pastor says that there is only one effect legalized gay marriage will have on the institution. “It’s going to be enriched,” he states. “I’ve never had a straight couple come to me and say, ‘My marriage is in trouble because of a gay couple living next door.'”
Adds Elizabeth, “And the institution of marriage is already in trouble, long before gays were getting married.
“Maybe the gay people can help it,” says Oprah.
“I think they can!” Elizabeth responds.
In the video, Oprah and the panel also discuss eliminating prejudice and what can help open up one’s heart. For Mark, personal hardships and struggles have a way of doing this. “I know from my own cancer journey, the more that I have been through, the more I am open to finding love wherever I can find it,” he says. “It’s as simple as that.”
Photo via Oprah.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- Elizabeth Warren wants to give same-sex couples $57 million tax refunds
- Why our double proposal is a celebration of LGBTQ+ pride
- How our lives changed when we became gay parents with kids
- Summer luxe wedding inspiration at Summerour Studio in Atlanta
- Clarence Thomas says marriage equality ruling should be overturned
- A homophobic bride refused to hire a gay makeup artist for her wedding
- Having a wedding ring means I have to come out again and again
- I was insecure about not wanting a traditional wedding—until now
- Sunset engagement photos in Palm Springs, California
- Engagement photos in San Diego and Los Angeles, California