We are basically late-to-the-game high school sweethearts. Taylor was a year older than me when we were in high school, and I always thought she was adorable and apparently she thought I was very cute. She played basketball and I was on a pom cheerleader, so I saw her all the time for games.
One day we exchanged numbers and texted for less than 48 hours. She realized I wasn’t ready to come out to the world. She graduated and joined the Air Force and I went to college. She lived in several different states because of the military and I stayed in Oklahoma City.
We didn’t speak until eight years later (and mind you I’m still super interested in her) when I got the courage to text her one night. We never stopped texting after that! I think we both grew up and realized we were pretty perfect for each other. She lived in Key West, so we would commute back and forth to each other for months until she got stationed back in Oklahoma City.
We started dating, got engaged, bought a house, and six months after her deployment, we decided we needed a baby boy in our life. He’s the closest thing we can have as far as children, so we believed he needed a proper introduction to the world. We are both Harry Potter nerds so Gryff—short for Gryffindor—seemed like a fitting name. We did our session just a couple days after we picked up Gryff. He is two months old. —from Mireya, one half of the couple
SEARCH FOR EQUALITY-MINDED WEDDING VENDORS
Photographer: Alexandra Dugan Photo
Alaina Leary Lavoie
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- How to celebrate International Transgender Day of Visibility
- A winter wedding in Orlando, Florida, celebrating two brides and their son with a spiritual ceremony and vegan cake
- Lizzo and YITTY launch a gender-neutral shapewear line
- This destination elopement in Central Park featured couture velvet suit jackets and Star Wars cufflinks
- In celebration and memory of LGBTQ+ icon Paul O’Grady
- From a New York first date to a New Orleans fall LGBTQ+ wedding with a second line and Polaroid guest book
- Yes, you should schedule an engagement photoshoot!
- These grooms walked down the aisle together with their dog in their outdoor Savannah, Georgia, LGBTQ+ wedding