We are basically late-to-the-game high school sweethearts. Taylor was a year older than me when we were in high school, and I always thought she was adorable and apparently she thought I was very cute. She played basketball and I was on a pom cheerleader, so I saw her all the time for games.
One day we exchanged numbers and texted for less than 48 hours. She realized I wasn’t ready to come out to the world. She graduated and joined the Air Force and I went to college. She lived in several different states because of the military and I stayed in Oklahoma City.
We didn’t speak until eight years later (and mind you I’m still super interested in her) when I got the courage to text her one night. We never stopped texting after that! I think we both grew up and realized we were pretty perfect for each other. She lived in Key West, so we would commute back and forth to each other for months until she got stationed back in Oklahoma City.
We started dating, got engaged, bought a house, and six months after her deployment, we decided we needed a baby boy in our life. He’s the closest thing we can have as far as children, so we believed he needed a proper introduction to the world. We are both Harry Potter nerds so Gryff—short for Gryffindor—seemed like a fitting name. We did our session just a couple days after we picked up Gryff. He is two months old. —from Mireya, one half of the couple
Photographer: Alexandra Dugan Photo
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Pope Francis endorses civil unions for same-sex couples
- Brian + Brett: Hudson Valley garden wedding with shades of purple
- 5 reasons to hire a gay photographer for your LGBTQ+ wedding
- PFLAG + OREO debut Proud Parent film and rainbow cookies
- Supreme Court justices set stage to end marriage equality
- Love Conquers All wedding giveaway theme revealed: Black is Queen
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts