Small autumn wedding with picnic food, folk music and burlap accents
For their fall wedding in Denver, Sara and Emily drew initial inspiration from the film, O Brother, Where Art Thou?
“We wanted an intimate crowd, a historic and quaint location, a laid-back vibe, folk music, an upscale picnic menu, and vintage-country styling,” they say, “which meant lots of wood, linen, and burlap bunting accents.”
Rocking bold-colored suits, the pair walked each other down the aisle, starting the journey beneath a banner that declared, “Love Wins.”
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Don’t feel obligated to invite anybody you’re not certain will be stoked for your marriage, and don’t feel obligated to do everything the traditional wedding way. Keep any traditions you both feel excited about, scrap the rest, and/ or create you own!
What advice do you have for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Treat us like you’d treat any other engaged couple, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
Everyone we worked with was so wonderful and happy for us, so nothing specific with regards to us being queer. The hardest part in general was keeping the guest list small to accommodate a venue we loved.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Friends & Lovers Photography
Venue: The Montclair Civic Center
Florist: We ordered boatloads of eucalyptus online and had one bouquet of flowers Emily’s grandma brought from The Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs.
Attire: Suit Supply
Jewelry: Sarah O. Jewelry
Caterer: Organic Roots Catering
Cellist: Angelyn Foster
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Stunning adventure elopement at Oregon’s Mt. Hood
- Youtuber Cammie Scott proposes to girlfriend in epic ode to 10 Things I Hate About You
- 5 of our favorite LGBTQ celebrity engagements of 2021
- Romantic Zoom wedding eight years in the making
- Seaside South Carolina proposal on horseback
- Joyful intimate wedding outside Chicago with geometric arch and outfit change
- 5 epic LGBTQ+ wedding photos we are just so thankful exist
- Romantic Malibu engagement session by the beach
- Outdoor New Jersey wedding filled with love and sunflowers
- Bright and cheery sixties-inspired wedding ideas
- Breathtaking Sedona elopement surrounded by close friends and family
- Inclusivity in the wedding industry: faux allies, transphobia and performative actions
- Stunning and joyful elopement at Colorado’s Garden of the Gods
- “Same Love” singer Mary Lambert is engaged
- Autumn engagement session at the base of Nevada’s Mt. Charleston
- WNBA legend Renee Montgomery reveals she and music artist Sirena Grace got married
- Two stars of Amazon’s lesbian reality show, Tampa Baes, are engaged
- Rustic and modern October wedding in a Mississippi barn
- Intimate and enchanting wedding at a Pittsburgh flower garden
- Epic surprise proposal during a styled shoot on the shores of Mallorca