By Sonia Oram
You have a wedding coming up, and you wouldn’t be comfortable wearing frills or lace, but you’re not looking to go all-out boxy either. It can be hard to explain your preferred clothing style when so much of the vocabulary out there is “butch” and “femme” and neither one applies to you. Here are some of our favorite picks for in-between dressy pieces.
All the preppy stores have a knack more making simple and androgynous women’s button-ups. Little did they know that the queers would be all over it. Megan Solid Oxford Shirt, available at Ralph Lauren for $89.50.
Everyone needs at least one blazer in their wardrobe, and I love the ones at Topshop for their androgynous structure. Structured Blazer in Pistachio, available at Topshop for $130.
If you feel so inclined to wear a skirt, we recommend the American Apparel Interlock Mini/Pencil Skirts. These are super simple and made with thicker cotton material—which, when compared to ruffled or chiffon skirts, is not all that femme-y. They also come in 17 different colors. You can tuck a blouse in and add a belt around the waist for a really cute ensemble. Navy Interlock Pencil Skirt, available at American Apparel for $36.
Women’s oxfords will go great with this look because they are menswear -inspired but with a feminine structure. I recently discovered these affordable beauties. Babe Yellow Natural, available at wantedshoes.com for $59.99.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
- LGBTQ+ family planning: be the parents you’ve always dreamed of with the help of Cryos
- These Disney LGBTQ+ weddings are pure magic
- Here’s how we decided to get married in Provincetown, Massachusetts
- Colorful, whimsical spring backyard wedding in Austin, Texas
- Rustic, moody farm wedding inspiration in Purcellville, Virginia
- Beach honeymoon photos in Bora Bora
- Why we chose an anonymous sperm donor to start a family
- Northern Ireland politician reverses stance on same-sex marriage after daughter marries woman
- 8 literary favors for your bookish or library themed wedding
- Colorful whimsical vintage wedding inspiration in Chattanooga, Tennessee