By Katherine Dean
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) has issued a not-so-thinly-veiled threat to opponents of marriage equality in New York. In a statement released late Friday afternoon, HRC told legislators who voted against a gay marriage bill, “We’re coming to get you,” as the organization unveiled the Campaign for New York Marriage, an effort to “re-elect senators who voted for marriage equality, defeat incumbent opponents and elect fair-minded candidates to open seats.”
The effort comes after a marriage equality bill was defeated in the state senate last year by a vote of 38-24, with eight democrats joining republicans against equality. Spearheading the campaign is Brian Ellner, a former senior aide to Mayor Michael Bloomberg and champion of LGBT causes.
To achieve equality and oust gay marriage opponents in the Empire State’s legislature, the Campaign for New York Marriage will form key alliances with LGBT rights groups by providing vital support such as fundraising, campaign workers and neighborhood canvassing.
In the statement, HRC President Joe Solomonese expressed the same optimism as New York Attorney General and gubernatorial candidate Andrew Cuomo who has declared gay marriage a priority and believes it can be achieved in New York within one year.
“New York is at a critical tipping point in securing marriage equality and November’s elections hold the key,” says Solmonese. “There is great work going on in New York and our commitment is to add value, strengthen coalitions, close any gaps and get our members out in the field.”
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- New Orleans industrial wedding inspiration shoot
- Danika + Cassidy: a Chicago engagement photoshoot with salsa dancing
- Reclaiming Asian pride: a San Diego private prenuptial tea-and-cocktail celebration
- Anthony + Paul: boho-lux Portugal destination wedding
- Lakesha + Nikia: Decatur, Ga. outdoor wedding during the coronavirus
- David + Andrew: Midwestern Pride Wedding Giveaway winners marry
- Romantic Vancouver elopement inspiration
- David + Anthony: Natural, earthy and warm Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wedding
- Jenny + Robin: a record-breaking cruise ship wedding vow renewal
- Meagan + Kristyn: an Austin, Texas, luxury outdoor wedding