By Kirsten Palladino
Wondering what more than 200 I do’s said at once sounds like? If you’re in Philly this Sunday, you might get a chance to listen in as more than 100 same-sex couples, with more than 5,000 gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and straight allies as witnesses, reaffirm their relationships at an interfaith commitment ceremony at SundayOUT! at The Piazza in Philadelphia on May 2, at 2:30 p.m.
The same-sex commitment ceremony through Project 1138 is intended to bring attention to the 1,138 federal marital benefits denied same-sex couples, including denying those legally married in five states and Washington, D.C.
A variety of religious and nonreligious officiants will perform the ceremony, including Rabbi Linda Holtzman, Senior Rabbi at Mishkan Shalom, Philadelphia; Reverend Timothy Safford, Rector, Christ Church Philadelphia; and Elder Joseph Tolton, Pastor, Rehoboth Temple Christ Conscious Church, New York.
Pictured: Jordan Pascucci and Abny Santicola will reaffirm their five-year relationship on Sunday. The couple has been married for two years.
SundayOUT! is produced by Equality Forum, a national and international GLBT civil rights organization with an educational focus. Equality Forum coordinates GLBT History Month, produces documentary films, undertakes high-impact initiatives and presents the largest annual national and international GLBT civil rights summit.
Equality Forum 2010 boasts more than 50 programs, parties and special events. For a complete schedule of events, visit www.equalityforum.com.
For more information on Project 1138 and to learn how you can encourage your state representative to vote for marriage equality, visit www.project1138.com.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Mashaun + Elvis: Georgia wedding with amethyst and aquamarine birthstone colors
- We said yes! Now what? LGBTQ+ engagement advice
- Christian + Clifton: An intimate hometown Ohio wedding
- Celebrity LGBTQ+ wedding alert! Niecy Nash marries Jessica Betts
- Angelina + Krista: Glamorous luxury lesbian wedding at the renowned Versace mansion in Miami Beach, Florida
- You’re invited to the biggest, queerest wedding of the year
- Tavion + Andrew: A Greenville, South Carolina, summer LGBTQ+ wedding with rose petal exit
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal