Tricks of the Trade
Be camera-ready on your big day with expert makeup tips from Sephora
By Tamara Crockett
You’re the star of the show on your wedding day, and naturally, all eyes are on you.
Put your best face forward by following the advice of Jennifer Renee Villamayor, a Sephora PRO Beauty team member, who gave us the scoop on how to rock the hottest of makeup looks, from a simple natural look to a sexy, smoky eye.
To achieve bridal beauty bliss, you must first get your skin in order.
“I recommend stopping in Sephora for a skin-care consultation because the secret to flawless looking makeup is great skin,” says Villamayor. “Using a good skin-care regimen with a great cleanser, exfoliator and hydrator will help skin look absolutely radiant.”
Once your face is focused, it’s prime time!
“For a long-lasting makeup, it is important to use a great eye primer and foundation primer to ensure your makeup will not budge,” says Villamayor. “Also, applying a makeup setting mist will help refresh makeup and hydrate skin throughout the day.”
Armed with cleansed, hydrated and primed skin, your mug is more than ready for some magic. Here are step-by-step instructions and products that will aid in creating natural, glam, hip, retro and romantic looks for your march to matrimony.
Let your natural beauty shine through with soft, neutral colored eyes, smooth glowing skin, mauve cheeks and nude-beige glossy lips.
1. Apply Bare Escentuals Foundation Primer to help fill in any fine lines and minimize pores.
2. Swirl, tap and buff the Bare Escentuals Mineral Foundation with a Kabuki brush on to the skin. Buffing the foundation will give you a beautiful natural finish.
3. Use a small amount of Bare Escentuals bareMinerals All-Over Face Color in Faux Tan around the perimeter of your face, and under the cheekbones and jaw line to contour and add warmth to the skin. Then, apply a small amount of Bare Escentuals blush in
4. Apply Bare Escentuals Prime Time Eye Shadow primer on to the entire lid to avoid shadows from fading or creasing. On the lid, with an eye shadow brush, use Bare Escentuals eye shadow in
5. Apply Bare Escentual lip liner in Natural to define the lips and prevent lipstick from running. With a lip brush, apply Bare Escentuals lipstick in Truffle, a warm nude beige. Then add Bare Escentuals Lip Gloss in Sugar Cookie to add fullness to the lips.
Unleash your inner glam goddess with semi-dramatic smoky brown eyes, smooth dewy skin, coral cheeks and creamy rose-colored lips.
1. Apply Lorac Aqua Prime and oil-free water-based foundation primer to help smooth the skin’s surface.
2. With a foundation brush, apply Lorac Breakthrough Oil-Free anti-aging with SPF 14 liquid foundation in a shade that’s closest to your skin tone on to the face. This foundation will give you a soft natural, even finish. For a matte finish, use Lorac Translucent Sheer Press Powder all over the face or just in the T-Zone area. This will give you a flawless soft finish with out any build-up.
3. With a bronzer brush, apply the Lorac Bronzer and Blush duo in Hot and Spicy to the perimeter of your face, under the cheekbone and jaw line to contour and add warmth to the skin. With a blush brush, pat this blush on to the apple of the cheeks and blend it outwards going halfway towards the ears. This duo is going to give you a nice sheen and sun-kissed glow.
4. For the eyes, use Lorac’s Starry Eye Baked Eye shadow Trio in Superstar. This highly pigmented wet to dry eye shadow trio is great for achieving that high glam look. Apply the mid tone all over the lid, and then with a crease brush, apply the dark brown tone on to the outer corner crease for depth. Apply the lightest shade under the brow bone to highlight and to the inner corner of the eye near the tear duct to make the eyes pop. Apply Lorac Eye Pencil in black or brown on to the upper and bottom lash line. Then, smudge the liner with a smudge brush to get more of the smoky eye effect. Finish off the look with Lorac Lotsa Lash mascara. This creamy mascara is loaded with nylon fibers to cling to the lashes to give a fuller and long lash effect, it’s also has pro-vitamin B5 to help condition lashes.
5. Add definition to the lips with the Lorac lip liner No.
THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
Add some funk to your face and show off your hip side with a bold smoky eye with bronzed, glowing skin, and a soft, golden-rose shimmery lip.
1. Apply Sephora Collection Foundation Primer to help fill in soft lines and wrinkles and to minimize pores. With a foundation brush, apply Sephora Collection Hydrating & Smoothing Liquid Foundation all over the face or just areas where coverage is needed for a beautiful, soft stain finish. For a matte finish, apply Sephora Collection Trick of the Trade Mineral Matte Powder all over face or T-Zone area.
2. For a bronzy glow, use a bronzer brush to apply Sephora Collection Bronzer with SPF
3. Use the Sephora Smoky Eye Palette, containing four highly pigmented eye shadows, volumizing mascara, a black eyeliner pencil, a double-ended brush and a mirror. Apply the Sephora Collection Tricks of the Trade Eye Shadow Primer to the entire lid to prevent fading and creasing. Then, apply the base color on the entire to help the other eye shadows blend better. Apply the black shadow at the base of the lash line, blending it upwards towards the crease. Then, apply the mid-tone color to the crease, blending with the black shadow to soften any hard edges. Under the brow bone area, add the lightest color to highlight and to the inner corner near the tear ducts to make the eyes pop. Now apply the black eye liner onto the lash line and bottom lash line. Smudge the liner for a smoky effect and then finish with the Sephora Collection Lash Plumper Mascara.
4. Apply the Sephora Collection Nano Lip liner in No. 13 Belle Beige to define the lips. Then with a lip brush, apply the Sephora Maniac Long Wearing Lipstick in number
BLAST FROM THE PAST
No need to borrow something new when rocking this retro look comprised of turquoise lids with a black shadow crease, dramatic lashes, matte skin, soft pink cheeks and nude lips.
1. Apply the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation Primer all over the face area to fill in fine lines and wrinkles, minimize pores and control oily skin. With a foundation brush, apply the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation closest to your skin tone all over the face or just areas where coverage is needed for sheer, natural finish. Then, with Make Up For Ever Soft HD Powder Brush, set the foundation with the Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder.
2. With an eye shadow brush starting at the lash line on the lid, apply Make Up For Ever Turquoise Matte Eye Shadow No. 72. With a firm slanted eye liner/ brow brush apply the Make Up For Ever Shadow in black, No. 4 starting in the inner corner crease, draw a medium thick line on the crease, creating a wing towards the outer corner crease. Then, apply Make Up For Ever Matte Eye Shadow in White No. 0 under the brow bone area to highlight. Then with Make Up For Ever Water Proof Liquid Eyeliner, draw a thin line starting in the inner corner on the lash line and gradually growing thicker towards the outer corner of the eye to create a thick cat eye. In the inner rim of the eye, use Make Up For Ever Water Proof Aqua Eyeliner in White No. 14L. Then, apply the Make Up For Ever Matte Eye Shadow in Black No. 4, drawing a line under the white eyeliner under the lash line. Finish the eyes with Make Up For Ever Water Proof Smokey Lash Mascara for length and volume!
3. Apply the Make Up For Ever blush in Pearly Baby Pink No.133 to the apples of the cheeks. For the lips, apply Make Up For Ever Water Proof Lipliner in Rosewood number
SUCH A ROMANTIC
Play up your passionate side with subtle cat-eye liner, dewy skin and red lips.
1. Apply Stila Hydrating Foundation Primer SPF 15 all over the face to hydrate and soften skin. With your finger or foundation brush, apply Stila Liquid Illuminating Foundation all over the face or areas where coverage is needed for sheer to medium coverage.
2. Apply the Stila Sun Bronzer on to the nose, cheekbone area, jaw line and forehead to add a sun-kissed glow. With a blush brush or fingers, apply Stila Convertible Color in Gerbera on to the apples of the cheeks for a light neutral peachy glow.
3. Apply the Stila Eye Shadow in Kitten on the eyelid fading out to the crease. Then, with an angled eyeliner/brow brush, apply Stila Smudge Pot in Black on the lash line creating a thin line starting at the inner corner of the eye and getting a little thicker towards the outer corner of the eye. Finish with the Stila Major Major Lash Mascara for great length and volume with no clump.
4. Apply the Stila Lip Liner in Contour 14 to add definition to the lips and keep lipstick from running. Next, apply Stila Long Wear Lip Color in Lover for the perfect red lip.
All products can be purchased at Sephora stores or online at Sephora.com.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- From OkCupid to a sunrise mountain wedding
- A destination wedding in Mexico with cold fireworks and an LED neon drum show
- Lawryn and Deja’s Richmond, Virginia, wedding at The Renaissance
- Wondery and Danvas founder Hernan Lopez marries music supervisor Scott Velasquez in West Hollywood wedding
- Classic black and white wedding ideas
- Say Yes to the Dress celebrity Randy Fenoli is engaged
- Tara and Emma’s purple and ivory wedding at Berkeley City Club in Berkeley, California
- The 19th Explains: Why the Respect for Marriage Act doesn’t codify same-sex marriage rights