Whimsical, rustic waterfront wedding in San Diego, California
“Our wedding represented Brittany and me to a T—rustic, personal, with a fun and light-hearted edge. Some examples of this were that we named the tables after our favorite Breweries, we had two huge cut-outs of our cats’ faces waiting for us at the sweetheart table, catering by our favorite local pizza shop and most importantly, a ranch dressing fountain that got heavy use!” —from Brittny, one half of the couple
Brittny and Brittany got married on October 5, 2019, after a two-year engagement, by the water in San Diego, California. Brittany C. proposed to Brittny Z. Their wedding was rustic and whimsical.
What advice would you give to engaged LGBTQ+ couples?
Don’t be afraid of what anyone else thinks; this is your day to shine bright!
Advice for vendors and venues working with LGBTQ+ couples?
Don’t assume every couple will be doing everything traditionally, but do assume that you’ll be a part of a very special and unique wedding.
Who walked down the aisle and with whom? Or who (if anyone) waited at the front?
We walked down the aisle in a very non-traditional way. Brittny Z. walked on the side with her mom and grandma on each side of her. They walked her to her dad who stood in the middle of the beginning of the aisle, then her mom and grandma walked down to their seats. Her dad then hugged her and let her go and walked to his chair. Brittany C. then walked with her mom and dad on the sides of her. They met Brittny Z. and gave her “away” then walked to their chairs. The Britts then walked down the main aisle together!
What challenges did you face as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
The challenges we faced were from people who tried to include their own ideas into our planning. We had our visions and wanted to make it as original as possible, so we kept to ourselves and did what we ultimately wanted.
Did you encounter any pleasant surprises as an LGBTQ+ couple planning your wedding?
How supportive and accepting everyone was. During our portrait session in the park, families who were out for the day congratulated us.
Photographer: Todd Danforth Photography
Venue: Waterfront Park
Florist: Two Rings Floral
Speakers: Pitbull Audio
Invitations: Paper Culture
Attire: David’s Bridal
Cake Designer: Fab Cake Girls
Rentals: Rentals, Concepts Event Design
Alaina Leary Lavoie
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot
- Celebrity wedding news! Raven-Symoné + Miranda Pearman-Maday are married
- Wedding suit inspiration from 6 top queer influencers for your big day