Timed perfectly with the historic and joyous ruling that marriage equality is now the law of the entire country, Celebrity Chef Art Smith celebrates the LGBTQ community and marriage equality with a mass gay wedding among family, friends and celebrity chefs in Atlanta, Sunday, June 28, at the Intercontinental Buckhead Atlanta.
Chef Art Smith (pictured), Oprah Winfrey’s former personal chef, restaurateur and activist for equality, along with Major League Baseball Ambassador Billy Bean, Madonna’s DJ Tracy Young, celebrity wedding planner Debi Lilly, party planner Tony Conway and food personality Chadwick Boyd, have organized a mass same-sex wedding and celebration. The historic ceremony, primarily sponsored by Intercontinental Hotels Group, will gather the Southeast’s LGBTQ community and families to witness same-sex couples commit, marry or renew their vows. A celebrity guest will officiate (they’re keeping the name under wraps until the big day, but Chef Guy Fieri officiated at Chef Smith’s first 101 Gay Weddings event in Miami in February).
The reception will be a lavish celebration with amazing food created by 12 of the South’s most prominent chefs, towering wedding cupcakes, and more. Entertainment will be provided by DJ Tracy Young. Art is presented by famed Brazilian pop artist Romero Britto.
Participating chefs include:
- Art Smith, executive chef, Southern Art (Atlanta)
- Anne Quatrano, Chef/Owner, Bacchanalia (Atlanta)
- Peter Dale, Chef, The National (Athens, GA)
- Duane Nutter, Executive Chef, One Flew South (Atlanta)
- Tiffanie Barriere, Liquid Chef, One Flew South (Atlanta)
- Virginia Willis, chef/author, Virginia Willis Culinary Enterprises/Lighten Up, Y’all (Atlanta)
- Irv Miller, executive chef, Jackson’s Steakhouse, (Pensacola, FL)
- Todd Richards, executive chef, The Shed (Atlanta)
- Craig Rogers, owner/shepherd, Border Springs Lamb (Patrick Springs, VA)
- Asha Gomez, chef/owner, Spice to Table (Atlanta)
- Lis Hernandez, chef/owner, Arepa Mia (Atlanta)
- Sophie LaMontagne, co-founder, Georgetown Cupcakes (Washington DC)
- Tom Ramsey, chef, LaFinestra (Jackson, MS)
The wedding is free to all participating couples and their guests to share in the special day. More than 300 guests are expected to attend. The public is invited to participate in the celebration. Tickets may be purchased for $75 with proceeds going to Georgia Equality. Purchase your tickets here.
Couples wanting to marry do not need to purchase tickets, but they must send a Tweet to Chef Smith here: @chefartsmith
WHEN: Sunday, June 28, 2015
1:00 p.m. – Arrival
2:00-2:45 p.m. – Wedding Ceremony
3:00-6:00 p.m. – Reception/Celebration
WHERE: Intercontinental Buckhead Atlanta
3315 Peachtree Road
Atlanta, GA 30326