10 Minutes with New York Pastry Chef Diana Rodov
Can you give us a little background about what got you started in cakes before you opened Duet Bakery in New York City?
I love cake making, and have found that through cakes, I can help make people really happy. There was never really a point at which I decided to go into cakes, I just wanted to make people’s lives better and found cake making to be the best way to do that.
How long have you been in the industry?
Search for equality-minded local wedding vendors and venues in your area here.
How long does it take you to make a wedding cake, from start to finish?
It really depends, but on average cakes take three to four days. If I need additional equipment, the process will require more time.
Do you make each cake by yourself?
I used to when I first started, but as my business grew, so did my staff. I worked alone for about four years. In 2011, when I opened the bakery with my husband, I took on a team.
What advice do you have for a couple wanting an original cake but not knowing what design they want?
I would say the best place to start when trying to decide what you want your cake to look like is by referencing your colors and invite design. Coming in with an inspiration board including color swatches and working concepts for things such as the bouquet(s), boutonniere(s) and flower arrangements, chosen dishware, lighting and other accents, gives me a clearer understanding of the couple’s vision at which point I can apply my experience to help the cake planning process.
What designs are you known for?
To be honest, I do not have a signature design. If you see my work, you will notice that I do love using fondant since I believe it makes the presentation look very clean. Also, I finish a lot of my cakes with a small ribbon with our logo and signature. The ribbon is very unassuming, a small detail that does not take away from the piece but rather finishes it.
What are the top trends you are seeing this year for wedding cakes?
Some trends I am seeing this year are five- and six-tier cakes with differing cake flavors in each tier.
What’s the most difficult art of making wedding cake decorations that people probably don’t realize?
I personally don’t like using silver on my cakes and discourage clients from doing so since it typically has a really dirty look.
Also weather, weather can be really problematic at times, especially with more intricate cakes.
Can people order your wedding cakes from other parts of the country?
At this time we are able to deliver cakes to a handful of locations specifically Miami, Chicago, Washington, D.C. and anywhere in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New Jersey.
Thanks for sharing your cakes and time with us, Chef Rodov! You can see more of her work by liking her Facebook page at Duet Bakery NYC.
Kirsten Ott Palladino
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- TV host and personality Ross Mathews marries Dr. Wellinthon García
- Be on the lookout for these wedding scams
- Gorgeous peacock-colored wedding bash in Washington, DC
- An intimate wedding at Smale Riverfront Park in Cincinnati, OH
- Good Omens–inspired styled elopement with angelic forms, red poppies, goblets and crosses
- Intimate Mountain Wedding in Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada
- Intimate garden wedding and “booze cruise” boat dance party in Salem, Massachusetts
- Engagement session at Matheson Hammock Park in Miami, FL
- Why Taha’a could be your dream honeymoon destination
- Boho garden wedding inspiration at Haiku I Do, Asheville
- Magical Moorea enchants for LGBTQ+ couples
- Sunset Wedding Portraits on Mount Lemmon