5 Nail Trends from Spring 2013 New York Fashion Week that Are Wedding-Worthy
By Brittny Drye
New York Fashion Week has come to a close, but editors and fashionistas are still buzzing about the styles, particularly the manis that the models sported down the runways. Julie Kandalec, one of New York City’s most sought-after and renowned manicurists, gave us the scoop of the hottest Spring 2013 runway nail trends that can easily be converted to wedding-worthy (plus, tips on how to create the looks!).
At Daniella Kallmeyer, models wore crisp white lines on a nude nail. To recreate the look, Kandalec recommends polishing your nails a tone similar to your own, and apply white lines with a striping polish found at most drugstores.
Over at Kate Spade, models wore their nails in an adorable gingham print. Keep your’s wedding-worthy by doing white stripes on top of a sheer pink base, or mix it up a little by doing a pastel version of your wedding’s accent color over white.
At Jenny Kayne, the reverse mani was all the rage. “Keep it fresh by doing the tips any color BUT white,” says Kandalec. “Try baby blue for your ‘something blue’ or even your sweetie’s favorite color.”
Models sported gold filigree embellishment on their ring and pinky nails at Ruffian. Pick up gold (or silver) embellishments at your local bead or fabric store and attach with a double layer of clear top coat.
Pearlescent shine was glimmering off of runways such as Rebecca Taylor, Christian Siriano and on models at Catherine Malandrino. “A sheer white nail with a touch of sparkle adds just the right amount of shine,” says Kandalec. Use one coat for a more subdued look, or two for a more obvious shine.
The Wedding Biz Podcast
- An incredible educational offer for wedding and event pros
- Burgundy and gold LGBTQ+ wedding inspiration
- Carolina + Eli: family photo session cover for surprise marriage proposal
- Heather + Tiffany: Sunday morning brunch love shoot
- Lynnea + Francecil: rose gold, champagne and burgundy California wedding
- Colorful tropical wedding styled shoot inspiration
- Register for a dream virtual wedding giveaway from Equally Wed, Signature Bride and WebWed Mobile
- All Black Lives Matter: the intersectionality of the Black wedding industry and the LGBTQ+ community
- Dignity and respect for all: marriage equality celebrates five years as a federal right
- Adrianna + Bri: an urban Detroit love shoot