A private proposal with an opal-and-rose-gold engagement ring
North Carolina spouses-to-be Veronica (she/her) and Sophie (she/her) met on Tinder and realized they had a mutual friend in common. Despite not looking for a relationship at the time, after hanging out as a group, Veronica and Sophie couldn’t deny that they wanted to be together.
Everything about their relationship just felt right to both of them, from exchanging their first “I love yous” in a Dick’s Sporting Goods parking lot to making things official over pad thai.
Fast forward to two days short of their five month anniversary–and their first Pride celebration together–and Veronica was ready to pop the question. She knew that Sophie wanted to be proposed to in a quiet and romantic setting, so when the festival ended, they went to a dock on Lake Lynn. Veronica shared how she was excited to see what the future held for them, and before Sophie could process what was happening, Veronica was on one knee.
The ring was everything Sophie dreamed of: a rose-gold band with an opal stone in the center. Overwhelmed with emotions, Veronica asked, “Will you marry me?,” and an equally emotional Sophie answered without hesitation, “YES!”
They went to their shared workplace to celebrate with mimosas, where Sophie could not stop telling the members of their work family the news and showing off the ring. Everyone’s responses were supportive and–much to Sophie’s surprise–all knowing. Apparently, Veronica had been planning to ask for weeks, getting Sophie’s parents’ blessing, and telling people today was going to be the day all while keeping it the best surprise Sophie could’ve ever imagined!
Later that month, they announced their engagement to the world, and Sophie gave Veronica a ring. The couple had an engagement photoshoot at various locations in their home city of Raleigh, North Carolina, and started the exciting process of planning their wedding day.
Search our directory of LGBTQ+ inclusive vendors.
Photographer: Savvy Leigh Photography
Locations: Raleigh Rose Garden; The Dillon Raleigh
Makeup Artist: Brushes and Brows
Hair Stylist: Locks by Lex
Submit your LGBTQ+ wedding, engagement or loveshoot
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- How to celebrate International Transgender Day of Visibility
- A winter wedding in Orlando, Florida, celebrating two brides and their son with a spiritual ceremony and vegan cake
- Lizzo and YITTY launch a gender-neutral shapewear line
- This destination elopement in Central Park featured couture velvet suit jackets and Star Wars cufflinks
- In celebration and memory of LGBTQ+ icon Paul O’Grady
- From a New York first date to a New Orleans fall LGBTQ+ wedding with a second line and Polaroid guest book
- Yes, you should schedule an engagement photoshoot!
- These grooms walked down the aisle together with their dog in their outdoor Savannah, Georgia, LGBTQ+ wedding